INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Need a view schemes classification method  (Read 1611 times)

Fingerling

• Recent member
Need a view schemes classification method
« on: November 20, 2016, 02:40:11 pm »

Hi,

I have my albums split in "thematic" view schemes, according to the word written in the comment tag of each file (with the file display rule "comment contains [...]"). For example, all my horror movies soundtracks are gathered in the view "Horror" with the word "horror" written in the comment tag (so the rule for the file display is "comment contains horror"). All this thematic view schemes are under a view named "Music".

Because I want all my albums divided up in thematic view schemes, I exclude in the main view "Music" the files that are already included in view schemes by setting a serie of file display rules "Comment is not [...]". Like this I'm able to see which albums are not yet classified (and I can group all my thematic view schemes in one view folder).

Here the problem: some of my albums are part of several thematic view schemes (so their comment tag field contains several word separated by ";", like "X; Y"), yet if I want to exclude from "Music" all the files with "X", "Y" and "X; Y" in their comment fields, I have to add three file display rules "Comment is not X", "Comment is not Y" and "Comment is not X; Y" cause for JRiver "X; Y" forms one comment expression, I can't simply add the two first rules.

Plus I feel that this method isn't well thought, using the comment field seems inappropriate.

So I wonder if there is a smarter way to do this, by using another tag method etc.

Thanks in advance

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Need a view schemes classification method
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 07:47:08 pm »

Well using the [Genre] tag would make much more sense, as it has a Data Type of "List" and is semicolon delimited by default, while [Comment] has just a "String" Data Type, and therefore has no logic around handling multiple values.

Then you will notice that instead of the Rule Operator "is" and "is not" you will have Operators "is any" and "is not any", because MC now tests against the List of values in the [Genre] tag, hence there is no need for you to test for X or Y or X and Y.

You could also use the Rule Operators "contains" and "does not contain" rather than the "is any" and "is not any" Operators. They work in a similar way, but test against just one value. So you can just say "[Genre] does not contain X" AND "[Genre] does not contain Y". Or "[Genre] contains X" AND "[Genre] does not contain Y". Or any variations you want.

If you already use [Genre] for something, you could always create a Custom tag, such as "Theme", and make it a Data Type of "List". But in your example image, most of your "themes" look like Genres, with the exception of perhaps "Drive" and "Road", which look like places you want to play the music. The later are probably best put into a different tag again, or maybe even better, create a "Drive/Road" Playlist and add the music you want to take on a road trip to that playlist, then export to a Device to take with you.

That should get you thinking.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Fingerling

• Recent member
Re: Need a view schemes classification method
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 09:53:53 am »

Thanks! I understand better now.

I use the Custom tag "Theme" now, works well.  :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up