INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rename Move Copy Files tool doesn't work with Special Characters in filename  (Read 1724 times)

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe

I just reinstalled OSX on my computer.  As a result the path to all of my music changed by a tiny amount.

I initially used RM&C to change this path, replacing a few characters.  This appeared to work great.  but then I figured out that everything wasn't OK.

It turns out the explanation is pretty simple:  When I ran RM&C using the Find & Replace template, RM&C transformed all special characters in filenames into the underscore character ( _ ) .  Note that even a character like "?" is considered "special".  Every song in my library that ends in a question mark was affected.

So I effectively lost all of these files.  Auto Import then reimported all of them, which kind of wreaks havoc because I ended up with two entries for every "problem file" and in some cases two album definitions.  Most importantly (to me) it also altered the import dates for all of these files and albums.

I have used a work around that seems fine so far:  I exported my entire library as MPL, and then used a text editor to alter the paths.  Then deleted all of the files in  the library and imported the MPL.  Of course you have to remember to import the MPL twice!  :)  Otherwise you get an incomplete import.  I'm glad I remembered that little nugget of information.

So I think I'm OK.  But it would be REALLY nice if this behavior were changed.  Otherwise, how you can ever use RM&C on any files that have special characters?

RM&C is one of the best features of MC.  I brag about it all the time.  That's one reason I'm reporting my experience.  I want RM&C to be the best it can be.

Thanks,

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up