INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: blu-ray audio dvd rip and convert  (Read 11007 times)

jacqlan111

• Junior Woodchuck
blu-ray audio dvd rip and convert
« on: November 21, 2016, 07:58:03 pm »

Hi

Long time running with MC19 and no problem here and only for audiophile needs.  My request concerns some new audio Blu-ray products on the market (like YES close to the edge) that have no video files, just remastered audio files.

I just want to rip them for playback on a portable device at 96-192 / 24 Bits flac files and on my main system with MC19.

Do I have to buy the anydvd software around 100$ or it is only usefull for Blu-ray video playback ?

Thinking to rip, which I did and unable to convert the files to FLAC. 

what would be your easy way ?

Thank you

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Re: blu-ray audio dvd rip and convert
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2016, 03:01:29 am »

You still need a decrypter to be running as while it is "Audio" it is still a BD (in fact it has a small video being the a single screen shot for the Video).  Once you have the decrypter you will then be able to use the convert function to pull the tracks off as flac once you have particalised them (eg a particle per chapter = one song).  This thread may help on that part - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,106802.0.html
JRiver CEO Elect

jacqlan111

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2016, 05:51:25 pm »

Thank you very much  jmone

I am about to purchase a decrypter software as you have suggested.

Still wondering if a less expansive one is available for my needs?  It's not that much but in some post it is said that I need AnyDVD (87 Euro !!) or another one. 

I could try some advertised one on the web like WinX Blu-ray Decrypter (V3.4.1) or Free Blu-ray Decrypter2.1.00 or many others but are they all compatible with MC19?

:P

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 08:53:22 pm »

Thank you very much  jmone

I am about to purchase a decrypter software as you have suggested.

Still wondering if a less expansive one is available for my needs?  It's not that much but in some post it is said that I need AnyDVD (87 Euro !!) or another one. 

I could try some advertised one on the web like WinX Blu-ray Decrypter (V3.4.1) or Free Blu-ray Decrypter2.1.00 or many others but are they all compatible with MC19?

:P

You might want to try MakeMKV before you commit to decrypting software. It has solid capability for ripping DVD and Blu-ray discs. You can use it in virtually perpetual trial by continuing to update the Beta key. I opted to pay for the software. Up to the individual. The key difference between it and decrypters is that you have to rip the disc to individual tracks and then name them in a format that MC can scrape thetvdb or tmdb for meta-data.

I like this approach because it means that all the introductory messing around you get with a DVD/BD - ads, informercials, whatever. That way you can get straight into the movie or show. Handy when you're dealing with a kid's movie and they're clamouring for the fun stuff.

Anyhoo, it all comes down to how you want to work it.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

jacqlan111

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2016, 07:17:22 pm »

You might want to try MakeMKV before you commit to decrypting software. It has solid capability for ripping DVD and Blu-ray discs. You can use it in virtually perpetual trial by continuing to update the Beta key. I opted to pay for the software. Up to the individual. The key difference between it and decrypters is that you have to rip the disc to individual tracks and then name them in a format that MC can scrape thetvdb or tmdb for meta-data.

I like this approach because it means that all the introductory messing around you get with a DVD/BD - ads, informercials, whatever. That way you can get straight into the movie or show. Handy when you're dealing with a kid's movie and they're clamouring for the fun stuff.

Anyhoo, it all comes down to how you want to work it.
Well I got the trial version of AnyDVD and ripped the YES blu-ray album again and it went allright I guess.

Now I have all tracks of the album in the m2ts format.  Still need to convert them to FLAC.  I tried to get it done in MC19 with the converter tool but I do not see how it could be done ?

What would be the next step sir?

scolumbo

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 06:48:32 am »

I have a three-step process for audio BDs. Decrypt the BD using AnyDVD HD to an ISO, then mount the ISO and use DVD Audio Extractor to rip the tracks to FLAC.

DVD Audio Extractor will identify the type of tracks contained on the BD or DVD (stereo, 5.1) and also the codec used, if any (PCM, DTS-HD, etc.). One caveat, DVD Audio Extractor can only extract the DTS Core from DTS-HD tracks so I always select PCM if given a choice. I have about 25 audio BDs (Yes, Pink Floyd, Steven Wilson, Tom Petty, etc.) and most of them contain PCM tracks in addition to DTS-HD so that's usually not a problem. If you need to extract DTS-HD, there is other software that can be used. Once extracted and converted to FLAC, I then use MP3tag (or you could use MC) to tag and add cover art.

I also like to keep decrypted ISOs of my concert and music-oriented BDs that have video. MakeMKV is fine for movies where there is one main feature, but it's a pain to use for a lot of music BDs which can have many titles. For example, the two Beatles 1+ BDs have about 30 titles each. I prefer to have 1 ISO of each disc and then use the BD menu to either select the track or play the BD straight through.

jacqlan111

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 07:43:30 pm »

I have a three-step process for audio BDs. Decrypt the BD using AnyDVD HD to an ISO, then mount the ISO and use DVD Audio Extractor to rip the tracks to FLAC.

I'm getting older every day, many unknown acronyms.   ?

I did your first step  with AnyDVD like I mentioned.  What mean "to an ISO" ?

I have downloaded DVD audio extrator but it won't work at all, error message, installed it three times ??  I run it in win8.

DVD Audio Extractor will identify the type of tracks contained on the BD or DVD (stereo, 5.1) and also the codec used, if any (PCM, DTS-HD, etc.). One caveat, DVD Audio Extractor can only extract the DTS Core from DTS-HD tracks so I always select PCM if given a choice. I have about 25 audio BDs (Yes, Pink Floyd, Steven Wilson, Tom Petty, etc.) and most of them contain PCM tracks in addition to DTS-HD so that's usually not a problem. If you need to extract DTS-HD, there is other software that can be used. Once extracted and converted to FLAC, I then use MP3tag (or you could use MC) to tag and add cover art.

I also like to keep decrypted ISOs of my concert and music-oriented BDs that have video. MakeMKV is fine for movies where there is one main feature, but it's a pain to use for a lot of music BDs which can have many titles. For example, the two Beatles 1+ BDs have about 30 titles each. I prefer to have 1 ISO of each disc and then use the BD menu to either select the track or play the BD straight through.
  Looks great this way for you but I want to use the files on a portable unit supporting 24/192, if I understand, your  "ISO"  contains all files in one package "BD" video ? format not really what I want.

Anyhow, I tried bdmagic to extract and convert Blu-ray files, they say It's the best !!  Well not, able to choose the sample rate but not the bitrate.  The resulting tracks are 16 BITs not 24 at 96Khz ??  Strange results 16/96.

I  still need help to overcome this problem and do something with the m2ts files from AnyDVD, are they the right files to work with?
Is MC is able to convert these m2ts in FLAC?

perhaps an other soft than bdmagic could make 24 bits flacs ?

jacqlan111

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 07:48:06 pm »

able to choose the sample rate but not the bitrate
Not bitrate but bitdepth

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 09:10:52 pm »

One you have a decrypter running, MC can (unlike others) convert the Audio to FLAC without any loss or re-encoding regardless of the format (including DTS-MA HD). 
1) Make sure you can play the audio track you want in MC
2) Right Click on the Track --> Library Tools --> Convert Format
3) In the Convert Format box (bottom left), Check "Convert Video to Audio", then in the Drop Down Box select "FLAC".  You can also press the "..." and the Options to see what has been set.
4) Press convert and it will make one big FLAC track from your BD Audio Track.

If you want to however break it up to individual audio FLAC tracks by BD chapter then you will need to add a step.  For this have a look at this thread may help on that part - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,106802.0.html
JRiver CEO Elect

jacqlan111

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2016, 11:09:35 am »

One you have a decrypter running, MC can (unlike others) convert the Audio to FLAC without any loss or re-encoding regardless of the format (including DTS-MA HD). 
1) Make sure you can play the audio track you want in MC
2) Right Click on the Track --> Library Tools --> Convert Format
3) In the Convert Format box (bottom left), Check "Convert Video to Audio", then in the Drop Down Box select "FLAC".  You can also press the "..." and the Options to see what has been set.
4) Press convert and it will make one big FLAC track from your BD Audio Track.

If you want to however break it up to individual audio FLAC tracks by BD chapter then you will need to add a step.  For this have a look at this thread may help on that part - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,106802.0.html
Yes this time it was "quite clear" thank you.  Step 3 was overlooked, I was searching in the Library tool and not at bottom left where I should have done.

Though, the FLAC file are certainly in 5.1 and not the expected stereo mode.  I can say that because it is obvious that the voices are almost missing in stereo.  The  converted  16 bits files using BDmagic are real stereo (voices OK), meaning that the original video files are stereo somehow ??. 
I am not able to find where I can set the MC stereo command and change the 5.1 automatic conversion ??.  I may be wrong here but it is very clear listening at it. 
Where it is hiding this time  :-\

scolumbo

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2016, 12:02:47 pm »

I did your first step  with AnyDVD like I mentioned.  What mean "to an ISO" ?

An ISO is an "image" of the BD which is an exact duplicate of the BD in one digital file.

I have downloaded DVD audio extrator but it won't work at all, error message, installed it three times ??  I run it in win8.

I'm not sure why it wouldn't work. I've used it for years starting with Win7 and now Win10

Looks great this way for you but I want to use the files on a portable unit supporting 24/192, if I understand, your  "ISO"  contains all files in one package "BD" video ? format not really what I want.

The ISO is just an intermediate step. You can keep it (and play it just as you would the BD itself with full BD menus, etc.), or you can discard it after extracting and converting the tracks to FLAC. DVD Audio Extractor shows all of the tracks available on the BD with their sample rates, codec, and number of channels. You select the tracks you want, specify the output format (FLAC, WAV, ALAC, etc.) and it gives you the individual files for each track.

I haven't tried using MC on an audio BD. I'm not sure it would be useful for me if it extracts to one large BD Audio Track since DVD Audio Extractor already gives me individual audio tracks. I might try it though if I come across a BD that has DTS-HD and no PCM audio tracks.

edit: Since I usually save the ISO anyway, I hadn't tried using DVD Audio Extractor by only running AnyDVD to decrypt the disc. It works without creating an ISO first, so that is an unnecessary step to creating FLAC files from an audio BD.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2016, 02:01:52 pm »

Yes this time it was "quite clear" thank you.  Step 3 was overlooked, I was searching in the Library tool and not at bottom left where I should have done.

Though, the FLAC file are certainly in 5.1 and not the expected stereo mode.  I can say that because it is obvious that the voices are almost missing in stereo.  The  converted  16 bits files using BDmagic are real stereo (voices OK), meaning that the original video files are stereo somehow ??. 
I am not able to find where I can set the MC stereo command and change the 5.1 automatic conversion ??.  I may be wrong here but it is very clear listening at it. 
Where it is hiding this time  :-\

Sounds like you selected the 5.1 not the 2ch mix on the original BD (note: MC will default to picking a Multi Channel Stream over 2ch).

1) Make sure you can play the audio track you want in MC (when playing the BD can select the track by Right Click --> Streams--> ... and then select the stream you want). 
JRiver CEO Elect

jacqlan111

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2016, 03:13:41 pm »

Sounds like you selected the 5.1 not the 2ch mix on the original BD (note: MC will default to picking a Multi Channel Stream over 2ch).
exact

1) Make sure you can play the audio track you want in MC (when playing the BD can select the track by Right Click --> Streams--> ... and then select the stream you want).
Fine now it is working.  I will find a way to make individual tracks.  Mr scolumbo gave me some ideas  :)

You have to admit that this one "Right Click --> Streams--> " was well hidden no? 

Thank you again.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2016, 03:26:32 pm »

To do the splitting, you could look at:
- MC BD Particles (or the app I linked before) to do the splitting prior to extracting the Audio, or
- MC Particles on the FLAC file to create entries for each song
- Create a CUE file for the extracted FLAC track
JRiver CEO Elect

jacqlan111

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2016, 05:26:31 pm »

To do the splitting, you could look at:
- MC BD Particles (or the app I linked before) to do the splitting prior to extracting the Audio, or
- MC Particles on the FLAC file to create entries for each song
- Create a CUE file for the extracted FLAC track

It seems that I have, let say, no talent at all finding links on this forum :-[.   Was not able to find MC BD Particles or the link for the app.

Noting for MC Particles neither.  Sorry, surely my fault, but still; where can I download?

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2016, 09:15:51 pm »

Have a read of this in the Wiki.  It will describe Particles and how to create them
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Particles#Example_of_How_to_Divide_a_BD_video_concert_into_individual_songs

You can then either do it manually, or use a 3rd party utility to help automate the process, one such is Chapterfy - on the 2nd post of this thread - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,106802.0.html
JRiver CEO Elect

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 12:22:36 pm »

There is another, little known tool to create FLACs from BD ISOs or MKVs. 

https://www.surroundbyus.com/pub/audiomuxer/AudioMuxer_User_Guide_Public.pdf#page1

The good news, aside from its being free, is that it does one FLAC per chapter.  The bad news is that it is a little complex because of all the features.  Incidentally, it converts DTS HDMA at full resolution, not just the lossy core.

The resulting FLACs are easily imported into JRiver.

scolumbo

• Recent member
blu-ray audio dvd rip and convert
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2016, 08:29:46 pm »

AudioMuxer is the "other software" I was referring to in my post above. I hesitated recommending it because it's a little complex, but compared to other methods mentioned here, it's probably not so bad, and there is a user manual that describes the options.

I still think DVD Audio Extractor is the easiest to use as long as it's limitations regarding DTS-HD MA are understood. I've only had to use AudioMuxer a few times when the BD contained DTS-HD but no PCM audio track.

DVD Audio Extractor is also great to use on DVD-A discs. Not a lot of new DVD-As these days but I was able to use it on a couple of new King Crimson DVD-As recently.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2016, 10:13:12 pm »

If you have not already, give Chapterfy a go (on the 2nd post of this thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,106802.0.html) as:
1) Works with MC in making a chapter based particle for you automatically
2) Can even scrape the Chatper names from the Internet so you don't have to type anything

Happy to hear if you think it is easier or not!
JRiver CEO Elect

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2016, 09:04:44 am »

AudioMuxer is the "other software" I was referring to in my post above. I hesitated recommending it because it's a little complex, but compared to other methods mentioned here, it's probably not so bad, and there is a user manual that describes the options.

I still think DVD Audio Extractor is the easiest to use as long as it's limitations regarding DTS-HD MA are understood. I've only had to use AudioMuxer a few times when the BD contained DTS-HD but no PCM audio track.

DVD Audio Extractor is also great to use on DVD-A discs. Not a lot of new DVD-As these days but I was able to use it on a couple of new King Crimson DVD-As recently.

I tried DVD Audio Extractor, but I gave up on it.  My interest is mostly multichannel, and most BDs use DTS HDMA for that.  So, I switched to Audiomuxer.  I have not done a lot with it yet, but it seems to work fine.  It is a little hard to figure out at first, but not that hard.

dtblair

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2016, 10:23:56 am »

FYI, many of the audio blu rays have flac files on the disc in 24/192 which can be loaded directly onto your computer.  The 2L recordings have this.  It isn't always documented but if you tunnel into the directories, you will find them.

scolumbo

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2016, 12:30:27 pm »

I tried DVD Audio Extractor, but I gave up on it.  My interest is mostly multichannel, and most BDs use DTS HDMA for that.  So, I switched to Audiomuxer.  I have not done a lot with it yet, but it seems to work fine.  It is a little hard to figure out at first, but not that hard.

Maybe it's just the BDs that I buy, but almost all of the audio BDs I own have both PCM and DTS-HD MA including the multichannel tracks. Without a lot of video, it's not like there isn't typically enough space on an audio BD, so I'm glad many do include both.

FYI, many of the audio blu rays have flac files on the disc in 24/192 which can be loaded directly onto your computer.  The 2L recordings have this.  It isn't always documented but if you tunnel into the directories, you will find them.

That is really interesting. I'll have to look to see if I can find hidden FLAC files on any of the BDs in my collection.

jacqlan111

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2016, 07:32:07 pm »

If you have not already, give Chapterfy a go (on the 2nd post of this thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,106802.0.html) as:
1) Works with MC in making a chapter based particle for you automatically
2) Can even scrape the Chatper names from the Internet so you don't have to type anything

Happy to hear if you think it is easier or not!
Was about to try it tonight but after reading wiki as you suggested, I realized that the particles are just part of the "big" flac converted file set by their time position.  This would work great for my main gear at home but I want (need) individual flac files for playback in my car or mini portable unit  without MC.

Though I will have to see the other softs I guess :-\

jacqlan111

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2016, 07:58:55 pm »

Actually extracting all files from Blu-ray YES Close to the edge with DVD Audio Extractor, 

I'll see tomorow morning !!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2016, 09:36:19 pm »

Nope - you get individual FLAC files.  Chapterfy markes the chapters on the BD as seperate entries.  You then select them, and convert to FLAC.
JRiver CEO Elect

jacqlan111

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2016, 07:00:42 am »

Nope - you get individual FLAC files.  Chapterfy markes the chapters on the BD as seperate entries.  You then select them, and convert to FLAC.

Oups again!
Trying to run the MC box tool.  I will come back later on it but for now I am stuck at the Server address port for my MC19.  The default one is for MC22 =  127.0.0.1:52199

so I get an error message.

Where can I get the right one ?
Thanks.

scolumbo

• Recent member
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2016, 07:59:22 am »

Actually extracting all files from Blu-ray YES Close to the edge with DVD Audio Extractor, 

I'll see tomorow morning !!

Excellent BD, as are all the Yes multichannel remixes from Steven Wilson. All the Yes BDs have PCM audio tracks, by the way.

jacqlan111

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2016, 08:15:59 am »

Excellent BD, as are all the Yes multichannel remixes from Steven Wilson. All the Yes BDs have PCM audio tracks, by the way.
Yes thes pcm stereo tracks are quite better than my old CD  :)

jacqlan111

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2016, 08:17:06 am »

Oups again!
Trying to run the MC box tool.  I will come back later on it but for now I am stuck at the Server address port for my MC19.  The default one is for MC22 =  127.0.0.1:52199

Thanks.
Switching to MC22 today.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2016, 08:25:12 am »

Oups again!

Thanks.

MC22 does not work with MC21 (or older versions) per Hendrick (here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,107803.0.html) . Perhaps this info should be added the the "Upgrade Help" sticky at the top of the forum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up