INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trying to create new auto field  (Read 2547 times)

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
Trying to create new auto field
« on: November 23, 2016, 08:54:33 pm »

Hi everyone.

I'm trying to use the model of AlbumArtist and AlbumArtist(auto) to create ArtistGroup and ArtistGroup(auto) fields to group related artists together (e.g. Peter Gabriel with Genesis).  I want it to work like AlbumArtist but when I look at the definition of AlbumArtist(auto), it has Calculated Data with function AlbumArtist(). Where is this function defined?  How do I define my own function to be similar but use different fields as inputs?  I can't find anything about this on the Wiki or the Forum.

Thanks & Happy Thanksgiving!

David

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Trying to create new auto field
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 09:33:27 pm »

Things are getting even worse.   I figured out that this expression should work:

FirstNotEmpty([Band],[Album Artist],[Artist])

However, I keep trying to create a new field but when I exit the menu and re-open it, it's not there!

Why can't I create fields?

Should I ask this in the MC 22 for Windows forum?  It seems like anything that's common functionality goes there - which is really annoying!

David

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 10:36:56 pm »

OK - I found this issue with this problem.  When MC22 brings up the Manage Library Fields window, it doesn't make it big enough to show the OK button at the bottom so I was closing it with the red close button which doesn't save anything.  Looks like my FirstNotEmpty is working!

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 05:54:22 am »

Sounds like you figured out the core problem.  Cool.

Based on your description, I would have expected your expression to use [ArtistGroup], as part of the FirstNotEmpty.  But it's not there.  Maybe you changed your mind on what to call your user configurable field and are using [Band] now?

Either way, good luck.  :)

Brian.

unfrostedpoptart

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 01:03:20 pm »

Sounds like you figured out the core problem.  Cool.

Based on your description, I would have expected your expression to use [ArtistGroup], as part of the FirstNotEmpty.  But it's not there.  Maybe you changed your mind on what to call your user configurable field and are using [Band] now?

Either way, good luck.  :)

Brian.

Thanks - it's pretty much doing what I want now.  JRiver should really fix it so the fields window opens big enough to show the OK button!

Also, now that I'm getting MC on my Mac to group the way I want, is there any way to do this on JRemote?  The only choices under Audio are Artist, Album, Recent, Genre, Composer, Podcast, and Highly Rated.  Any way to use the fields I created in MC?
Pages: [1]   Go Up