INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using a remote control  (Read 943 times)

millertivo

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Using a remote control
« on: July 02, 2003, 05:54:48 pm »

I have a media only computer that has no monitor.  I currently remote desktop through XP to control the system.  I would like to hook the computer up to the tv and use a remote.

Is this all I need:

1) a video card with a S-video or RCA video out

2) the Irman reciever (then I can program Irman for my remote)

+ cable to connect the video card to the tv.  Can you use any remote, such as my Tivo remote, or will I need to get a different remote?  And is the Irman reciever the only one that works or is it just the only one that J River supports?

Thanks!

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Using a remote control
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2003, 08:15:38 pm »

Can you use any remote, such as my Tivo remote, or will I need to get a different remote?  And is the Irman reciever the only one that works or is it just the only one that J River supports?

Thanks!

I'll just touch on the remote question.... I can't comment on the IRman specifically, but I know that there is a plugin interface to MC9 that allows that hardware to be used. I believe any old remote control is fine, but the more buttons, the more functions you can make MC perform.

Personally, I want even more control, so I use Girder (http://www.girder.nl). It lets you use many different kind of IR receivers and control virtually every aspect of your machine via IR signals. In combination with a programmable remote, it's quite powerful. I use a USB-UIRT and a Marantz 5200 remote. My MC9 Girder configuration file is included with the MC9 distribution.

Other people are using NetRemote (http://www.netremote.org) and various PDAs to get 2-way communication with MC9.

Hope this gives you some search ideas or leads you to other specific questions!

Good luck!
Brad

jleerigby

Re: Using a remote control
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2003, 09:58:43 am »

Millertivo - Did you get anywhere with this?  I'm thinking of buying an IRMAN.  I might also see if I can get the PC hooked up to the TV although the last time I tried this the picture was pants so I just unplugged it.  I have an ATI Radeon with S-Video out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up