INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Raspberry Pi 3 Theater View with 22.0.44 and latest Jessie updates  (Read 2746 times)

duncan4791

• Junior Woodchuck

First off, I know that the pi 3 is slow but, the Theater View is unusable at full screen 1920x1080.
Just moving between menu items selected by the mouse takes 10 to 15 seconds, sometimes longer. You can see the shadow box resize itself before moving to the next menu entry. The background image's continuous changing slows things down even further. Setting it to no background still gives a striped image which has an effect on performance. Mouse movement is unaffected but selection is delayed. The exit menu once entered takes 30 seconds to respond to the "Exit Theater View" command, switches momentarily to the "Cancel" entry then back to the main display to complete the whole cycle in around 60 seconds. Theater View raises the cpu temperature by at least 20 degrees C, which leads to a dangerous levels, sometimes triggering a thermal warning. Temps of 80C where noted on release of theater view. However, my setup is in a case, processor temps are 55-60C with ambient room temps are 28C (80F).

Unless 22.0.45 improves graphics response I will be staying on 44. Everything else I need from Media Center continues to works since switching from 22.0.36.

Thanks, Duncan.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Raspberry Pi 3 Theater View with 22.0.44 and latest Jessie updates
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 12:11:28 pm »

Theater view isn't actually supported on the arm platform as I understand it.  I'm surprised it runs at all.  The issues you're seeing are because it's doing all the rendering on the (underpowered) CPU because the arm GPUs can't use normal openGL.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,107694.msg747482.html#msg747482

duncan4791

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 01:52:43 pm »

Just a few minutes ago I discoved that the Pi has an experimental GL driver which can be enabled via raspi-config. Tried it and the screen went white and stayed there. So it's a bust.

Didn't expect the Pi to work with Theater View, just  wanted to try.

Duncan.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 02:35:40 pm »

As mwillems mentioned, its probably using software emulation, which is super slow. We plan to make Theater View available on ARM devices eventually, but for now its not supported and not really tested at all :)
Interesting that the Pi comes with a software renderer though!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up