INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC22 crashing on import  (Read 4683 times)

jlyness

• Junior Woodchuck
MC22 crashing on import
« on: December 06, 2016, 08:17:17 am »

I've seen this in prior topics but am not clear on solutions. I moved my music files to a new external hard drive (a mac software JBOD array), and MC22 is now crashing on importing. Runs fine if I remove that drive from my auto-import settings. Am using 22.0.43,  MacOS Sierra, log attached. What to do? Thank you.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC22 crashing on import
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 08:19:01 am »

Would you be willing to email me a copy of this file:
/Volumes/RAID-xxTB/iTunes media files copied from NAS/Music/Angela Hewitt/Scarlatti_ Sonatas (Hewitt)/02 Sonata C major Kk159.m4a

I'm matt at jriver dot com.

Thanks!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jlyness

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 09:02:13 am »

yes, dropbox link to a zipped version of that file has been emailed to you. for what it's worth, the file plays fine within Finder, and iTunes had no trouble importing all these same music files.

Tommay

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 11:40:52 am »

Just downloaded 22.0.43, running on MacOS Sierra.  When I run Auto Import it finds new files on my Synology NAS, but when it finally gets to "Analysing audio..." it simply stops responding (just endless rainbow-wheel of doom).  Have tried modifying auto import to only look in certain folders, but so far no joy, which suggests it not due to one particular file.  Not had this problem before - any ideas?

Thanks

Tommay

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 11:51:32 am »

...on quitting and re-running I find all my new files (so far as I can tell) have been imported.  However, when copying cover art to a file it stopped responding again.  Is all this crashing a MacOS Sierra issue?

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 04:20:14 pm »

I'm running 22.0.43 on OSX 10.12 (Sierra) with no issues.  It works pretty much the same as it did under 10.9 . 

Crashes during import are pretty common with damaged or unusual files.  Usually finding these files and eliminating them from the auto import paths fixes the issue.  I've recently read about Analyze Audio being a source of crashing, which I assume is similar:  Weird files makes MC choke and crash.

You can use MC's logging feature to turn on logging, wait for it to crash, and then do "get log zip file".  With the log zip file you can usually find which file MC was working on when it crashed.  Then eliminate that file and try again.  You can post log zip files here for others to look through and try to assist you.

Good luck,

Brian.

Tommay

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 06:13:23 am »

Thanks Brian for an incredibly clear and helpful reply.  I'll do as you suggest.  I hadn't appreciated that MC had a logging feature.

Thanks again

s2kchicago

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 03:25:30 pm »

Mine crashes and can't change any settings. I only used it push play and sometimes even that causes issues.  Using latest v22 on mac mini late 2014.

Tommay

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 07:14:26 am »

Log file was useful, but fairly technical - I could not see any specific line that explained my apparent crash.  however, I think I have got to the bottom of it...

Following extensive file housekeeping and a CD ripping session, I performed 'auto import' on my entire music library NAS.  The new files were correctly imported and file analysis began as the last part of this process (I now better understand what file analysis does).  It is at this point that MC gives the impression it has crashed (rainbow spinning wheel and no response to mouse clicks) plus the Mac OS reports MC as 'not responding' if you run Force Quit. 

However the NAS was still happily churning away to itself, so I assumed something must be happening and left it to run.  After several hours I returned to MC, which was now responsive and showed a message along the lines of "analysing 3000 out of 31,000".  So MC does not crash, instead there is a period of 'deep thought' during which it gives the impression of crashing.  I had simply been impatient, although if MC had properly warned me it was about to go into a death-like trance, I would have arrived at a different conclusion and gone off to do other things for an hour or so before panicking and pulling the plug.

It's still running now - problem solved, I hope.

Tommay

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 02:26:44 pm »

... and the answer is, MC took 36 hours to analyse 41,000 files.  No crashes, all working as it should in the background, while I did other things.  Two Synology NAS chattering away to each other, synching to keep the files safe. 

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2017, 05:55:25 pm »

I'm glad it's all working for you now. But this "deep thought" thing you report is not normal at all.  I've imported several thousand files, including analyzing them, and had none of these long pauses at all.  I suspect your NAS is getting in your way.

But hey, if it's all working correctly now, we should all be happy.  Most of all you.  :)

Good luck going forward.  Please feel free to ask more questions here.  MC is a big complex program.  You'll be rewarded by learning more about it as you go.

Take care,

Brian.

Tommay

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 01:53:25 pm »

An unexpected benefit of my re-ripping session is that my new Mac Superdrive DVD-R has successfully ripped all the CDs I previously had problems with, some of which would not rip at all.

Tommay
Pages: [1]   Go Up