INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver stopped locating/controlling DLNA renderer  (Read 7786 times)

auricgoldfinger

• Recent member
JRiver stopped locating/controlling DLNA renderer
« on: December 09, 2016, 09:11:12 am »

Ever since I started using the microRendu DLNA renderer, I have had intermittent problems with JRiver being unable to find it.  Normally, some combination of rebooting the microRendu, restarting its DLNA renderer app (and clearing the database) , and completely powering off the microRendu will fix the problem after a 30-minute hassle.

Since yesterday, I have been unable to get JRiver to find the microRendu despite doing all of the above steps.  I have also rebooted the computer.  I can see that the microRendu is recognizing my DAC.   JRiver has not been updated and no settings were changed prior to or during this latest episode.

What can I do to resolve the problem?  I'm sure you will try to fault the microRendu, but I am not convinced it is the culprit.  I can see it is functioning normally on the network, so the problem seems to be a software issue.

Thanks.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver stopped locating/controlling DLNA renderer
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2016, 12:45:37 pm »

Some standard things to look into..

- Firewall
- AV software
- IP address - it's best if both MC and the renderer have either static IP addresses, or (same result) they use reserved IP addresses on a DHCP server..
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

auricgoldfinger

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2016, 02:22:29 pm »

Everything on my network has a static IP.  No settings have been changed on my network or computer on which MC runs. 

What do you mean by AV?

I have been running MC for several months in this setup without this kind of irreparable outage.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2016, 02:32:51 pm »

Anti-Virus

auricgoldfinger

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2016, 02:34:03 pm »

No issues there, either.

If I reinstall MC, will my existing settings be retained?

auricgoldfinger

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2016, 03:30:10 pm »

Yesterday morning I opened MC and saw the microRendu listed under Playing Now as it should be.  I left the application open, and later in the afternoon when I attempted to listen to music, nothing would play. From my perspective, it actually did stop working.  This has happened to me before, but as I said earlier, I have always eventually been able to get it working again.  In this case, it has been inoperable for 24 hours.

Perhaps a file got corrupted and reinstalling would fix the problem.  No one has answered my previous question regarding whether settings would be retained if I reinstalled over the existing application (without removing it first).

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 04:16:05 pm »

Well I have MC set up with static IPs, relevant firewall pass thru enabled, and AV ignoring MC, and I have not lost a renderer since years...

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

auricgoldfinger

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 04:58:03 pm »

Just for grins, I completely disabled my AV and firewall settings as well as every other form of protection for the entire computer.  I still do not see a microRendu DLNA renderer in MC.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 05:29:07 pm »

We have seen many cases of problems that were caused by antivirus software but were not fixed by "disabling" it.  Uninstalling it is the only way to rule it out as a cause.

It's also possible that something on your network is not working.  Power everything down and back up.

Reinstalling isn't necessary, but it won't cause any trouble if you do it.

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2016, 05:44:34 pm »

I've also found that when I have these kinds of issues, it' my router that's the culprit. Every now and then it seems to get bogged down and need a restart. The only symptom when that happens is that one, just one, of my DLNA renderers stops appearing.

auricgoldfinger

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 06:03:34 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions.   :)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 06:34:40 pm »

Thanks for the suggestions.   :)
Look for a router setting that might be filtering out multicast.

DaQi

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 04:58:26 pm »

Having similar problem with my microrendu as well except I haven't been able to get JRiver to see it except for about the first hour I plugged it in. Roon works fine with it so I don't think it is my network or the unit itself. I have tried all the above as well with no fix. Looking for help with this as I don't like Roon and don't want my new renderer to only work with Roon especially after the free trial runs out and I don't pay for Roon.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2017, 01:05:40 pm »

Having similar problem with my microrendu as well except I haven't been able to get JRiver to see it except for about the first hour I plugged it in. Roon works fine with it so I don't think it is my network or the unit itself. I have tried all the above as well with no fix. Looking for help with this as I don't like Roon and don't want my new renderer to only work with Roon especially after the free trial runs out and I don't pay for Roon.
Look to make sure it's not in Hidden Devices:
Right click in "Player" in the MC tree.
Show/Hide Zone
Show

If you still can't find it, load up Developer Tools for UPnP on your PC, look for the renderer with Device Spy and right-click on the renderer name and do "Get Device XML".
Post it here.

auricgoldfinger

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2017, 01:15:09 pm »

Try the following process.  I have to do it 2-3 times a week, which is very frustrating.

1. Turn off your linear power supply to shut down the microRendu.
2. Turn off your DAC and close JRiver.
3. Turn on your DAC.
4. Turn on your linear power supply to power up the microRendu.
5. Verify that the microRendu sees your DAC in DAC diagnostics.
6. Restart MPD/DLNA render.
7. Select MPD/DLNA in the Audio App Switcher.
8. Open JRiver.  (You may have to open and close JRiver once or twice before it finds the microRendu.)

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2017, 01:26:25 pm »

That's quite odd.
It sounds like the microRendu stops advertising it's presence via SSDP after a while.

That might be the time to look for it with Device Spy but I still wouldn't mind seeing the XML.

auricgoldfinger

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2017, 01:33:37 pm »

In my experience, the microRendu seems to lose connectivity with the DAC, which then causes the microRendu to become invisible to JRiver.  In these situations, when I check the DAC diagnostics setting in the microRendu, it no longer sees a DAC.  The process I described forces a reset and the microRendu can see the DAC again. 

Sonore claims it is a DAC issue, but I believe the problem is related to a firmware fault in the microRendu.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2017, 01:39:33 pm »

It sounds like you hit upon the issue, once it loses the Audio Device it stops SSDP. I wonder if it's even still running then.

auricgoldfinger

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2017, 03:06:38 pm »

I believe it's still running because I can see it on my network and access it via my browser.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2017, 03:51:29 pm »

I believe it's still running because I can see it on my network and access it via my browser.
It could still do that but their DLNA renderer software might not be running any more.

auricgoldfinger

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2017, 10:53:25 am »

So after a lot of difficult back and forth with the developer of the microRendu, I finally was able to elicit an admission that it does not work as designed with all DACs.  He insists that JRiver is not the issue and that it has worked flawlessly in his setup for months.

If you have problems finding JRiver using the microRendu, you need to follow the procedures that I described above.  The other alternative is to shut down your entire system including the microRendu at the end of every session and power up everything the next time you sit down to listen to music.

auricgoldfinger

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2017, 11:03:33 am »

The developer also says it might also be a "network problem" causing JRiver not to recognize the microRendu, but I believe that is a dubious proposition.

auricgoldfinger

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2017, 11:13:34 am »

Of course, it is also possible that the microRendu is defective, but good luck getting the developer to admit it.

DaQi

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 11:48:22 am »

Figured out the problem.

Had added a new switch in my network and it had a different subnet on it. Once I fixed that I was good to go.
Pages: [1]   Go Up