INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Choosing BM slope and X/O in Room Correction (Ported Mains, Sealed Sub)  (Read 2116 times)

ronkupper

• Recent member

Hi Guys,

I'm asking for your wisdom in helping me choose the right settings for my system.
(General guidelines or links to reading material would be great)

Mains: Quadral Platinum M50
Sub:    JL Audio e112

I also use Dirac Live but unfortunately it does not handle Bass Management.

Last measurement I did the main's roll off started at 23-24Hz, on par with their spec.
They are ported and I've attached a port measurement from a review linked here - http://www.quadral.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Downloads/tests/Platinum_M50_HiFi_World_August_2013_engl..pdf

So which should it be?

Cross Slope -  12 or 24?
Routing  Slope - ?
Cross Freq - RC has 40Hz as the lowest but I believe PEQ could be used if you think it would be better to set it lower. On the other hand I've read that it is beneficial to remove sub content from the amp's main channel and also the Sub is louder which makes me sometimes think of setting it at 60Hz for the kicks :)

I care mostly about music, mainly stereo upmixed to 2.1.

Much appreciated :)

HTPC (Origen ae) | Fronts: Quadral Platinum M50 | Sub: JL Audio E112 | Center: Quadral Platinum M10 Base | Surrounds: Morel SP2 | Power: Emotiva XPA-5 | Pro: Emotiva UMC-200 | TV: Panasonic P50S60 | XTZ Room Analyzer II Pro | Dirac Live Full

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Choosing BM slope and X/O in Room Correction (Ported Mains, Sealed Sub)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 04:51:00 pm »

I've never met anyone with more knowledge of subwoofer integration than Barry Ober, AKA The Sound Doctor.  Barry is arguably the reason that JL Audio produces home subwoofers.  He also happens to work for JL as their technical support person for home subwoofers. 

I would suggest calling the tech support number and choosing the option for home subwoofer products.  You should get Barry on the line and he can make real world recommendations for you.

In the mean time, if you're interested, Barry's white paper on home subwoofer integration is pretty interesting and different than anything else I've read in it's overall approach.

http://soundoctor.com/whitepapers/subs.htm

Good luck!

Brian.

Fitzcaraldo215

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 09:30:46 am »

Hi Guys,

I'm asking for your wisdom in helping me choose the right settings for my system.
(General guidelines or links to reading material would be great)

Mains: Quadral Platinum M50
Sub:    JL Audio e112

I also use Dirac Live but unfortunately it does not handle Bass Management.

Last measurement I did the main's roll off started at 23-24Hz, on par with their spec.
They are ported and I've attached a port measurement from a review linked here - http://www.quadral.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Downloads/tests/Platinum_M50_HiFi_World_August_2013_engl..pdf

So which should it be?

Cross Slope -  12 or 24?
Routing  Slope - ?
Cross Freq - RC has 40Hz as the lowest but I believe PEQ could be used if you think it would be better to set it lower. On the other hand I've read that it is beneficial to remove sub content from the amp's main channel and also the Sub is louder which makes me sometimes think of setting it at 60Hz for the kicks :)

I care mostly about music, mainly stereo upmixed to 2.1.

Much appreciated :)

There is always experimental trial and error.  If you use Dirac, then you have a mike that can be used with REW.  That can tell you what is best with test tones.  But, likely, there will be little difference in frequency response after Dirac correction, regardless of xover frequency.  However, REW can also let you measure for best time/phase alignment in the xover region by adjusting the distance to the sub channel for flattest output at the xover frequency.  That was Mark Seaton's idea.   Listening with music is much harder, because you need to try a cross section of many different music samples.  And, we never know exactly what is actually on the recording.

I think some audiophiles tend to want to go too low with their crossover frequency if they have big mains with deep response. That will reduce some of the biamping advantages of using a sub. Personally, I would start at 80Hz and work down, but I doubt I would go below 60.  I would do that on most any system, not just yours.  I, personally, would not get into PEQ for xovers.

Xover slopes?  You will have to experiment to decide.  There are pros and cons of steeper vs. less  steep.

ronkupper

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2016, 11:25:32 am »

Thanks guys!
HTPC (Origen ae) | Fronts: Quadral Platinum M50 | Sub: JL Audio E112 | Center: Quadral Platinum M10 Base | Surrounds: Morel SP2 | Power: Emotiva XPA-5 | Pro: Emotiva UMC-200 | TV: Panasonic P50S60 | XTZ Room Analyzer II Pro | Dirac Live Full
Pages: [1]   Go Up