INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ripping from CDs - Is external CD drive preferable to the inbuilt one in Laptop  (Read 2377 times)

gchopra

• Recent member

Hi
I have started ripping using my windows laptop which has an inbuilt CD drive. i tried ripping a couple of CDs via an external CD drive connected to the USB of the laptop.
the sound from the file which was ripped via the external CD drive lacked the bass content to a large extent. it will have something to do with the USB mini cable which was the standard supplied with the external Cd drive (Dell)

Can anyone throw some light on which is better - ripping CDs from the inbuilt CD drive of the laptop or use and external Cd drive ( maybe with a better mini USB cable)

ferday

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

None of that makes any sense

I'd probably rip with the other drive and then checks the two hashes to see if they were different (if I had heard such a thing)

Trumpetguy

the sound from the file which was ripped via the external CD drive lacked the bass content to a large extent. it will have something to do with the USB mini cable which was the standard supplied with the external Cd drive (Dell)

This really does not make any sense. When ripping, the ripping software (in secure mode) should do a checksum and make sure alle the bits are copied from the cd to your hard drive.

And - in the case of missing bits - the result would not be a gradual qualitative degradation in sound, it would be pops, stops and odd behaviour. If you have experienced the transition from analog to digital television, you could imagine something similar to that. With bad (analog) tv signals you got a snowy picture (bad quality), but is could still be possible to see the program. With digital tv, you get pixelation (squares), frozen images and sometimes full stop.

MikeO

The only drawback I can see is simply wear and tear on the laptop drive. If you rip an lot of CD's you may prematurely "Age" the drive.

When I did my conversion, I found CD's that skipped due to damage ripped fine and were "recovered" from being unplayable.

Mike

Trumpetguy

When I did my conversion, I found CD's that skipped due to damage ripped fine and were "recovered" from being unplayable.

That was probably due to the fact that playback is a realtime process, while ripping can repeat and correct the readings multiple times on a skratched cd. At some point, the disc is too damaged. If it is a properly pressed commercial cd, the data are etched into a middle layer, and I have successfully used polishing tools to polish off quite deep skrathces from the outer surface. Not the manual, spinning versions, but a motorized spinning polisher with pads of different roughness.

blgentry

The only drawback I can see is simply wear and tear on the laptop drive. If you rip an lot of CD's you may prematurely "Age" the drive.

Maybe.  I've ripped something like 400 CDs and 200-ish DVDs on my Macbook Pro's internal CD/DVD drive.  It's still working as it always did.  This is a 2011 model Macbook Pro.

Your results might be different, depending on the drive type, and many other factors.  Just sharing my one isolated experience.

On the other hand, my new external CD/DVD/BD drive is screaming fast and rips BDs at up to 10x, and CDs at up to 20 or 22x.  I probably won't be using my internal drive much any more.  :)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up