INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flac tags, vorbis comment block  (Read 2125 times)

MuseChaser

• Recent member
Flac tags, vorbis comment block
« on: December 17, 2016, 11:05:16 pm »

I've purchased and have been using JRMC21 on a win7 machine for maybe a year, and for the most part it works great.  Over that time, I've transferred/ripped my fairly extensive CD collection to mp3 files, and more recently am re-ripping to flac files instead.  The tags all look fine w/in MC21, but when I transfer the ripped flacs to a thumbdrive for use on a RaspberryPi w/ Runeaudio, my most recently ripped ones (all of my Christmas CDs) fail to index.  I can still play the files and they sound great, but only by selecting the files themselves; the MPD doesn't find the tags and index the albums by artist/album/genre.  The older Flacs I ripped index fine on the Pi and display the cover art, too.

After digging around a bit, I discovered that my most recent rips, although the tags w/in MC21 all look good, do not have anything in the vorbis comment block other than "vendor = S," while all of the rips that DO index have lots of tag information stored in that comment block. 

I've dug around the forums and wiki trying to find an answer, and have poured over the MC21 menu structure hoping to find a clue, but I can't figure out what's changed and why the tag info isn't appearing in the vorbis comment block, where I believe it's needed by most flac players. 

Can anyone shed some light on this?  How can I get my recent rips to contain the tag data?  What could I have changed that caused my recent rips to NOT have the data in the first place?

Just for illustration, I'm including a screen capture of one file that doesn't index, and one that does:

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer..

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Flac tags, vorbis comment block
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 03:14:22 am »

To summarise what you have is a load of FLAC files with no tags in them as the Tags are being stored in the MC database.

As a test right click a file | Library Tools | Update Tags (From Library)
This will populate the tags in the file from the MC database and should resolve your issue. If you're happy with the results you can apply the same technique to the rest of your files with missing tags.

You then should go back to the tool you use to rip your CDs and check its config as it's not writing the tag into to the FLACs and by the sound of it this is what you're after. I have a sneaking suspicion that you may be ripping with MC - I use dbPoweramp so am not familiar with MC ripping settings.

Spike

MuseChaser

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 08:26:11 pm »

Yes, Yes, and Yes.  I used the Library Tools | Update Tags from Library function you mentioned, and that took care of it.  I did need to track down each album that was missing the vorbis comment block data, then update it, but after doing so everything worked fine. 

Since then, I've ripped a few more CDs, and checked the contents of the comment block immediately after ripping; some had the tags, some didn't.  They were all commercial CDs, and I use JRMC21 for ripping... sooo.. the question remains.. why the different behavior?

Thanks for the guidance..

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2016, 09:06:07 am »

It's possible that you've unchecked the option that tells MC to write tags to files.  Check that option here:

Tools > Options > General > Importing & Tagging > Update tags when file info changes > (checked is what you want)

Brian.

MuseChaser

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2016, 12:45:04 pm »

Thanks for the reply, Brian.  I checked, and I do have the option selected.  As long as I remember to check the comment block after I rip a CD and use the "update tags from library" option if it's empty, I'm all set. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up