INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bi-amp Mains to create "virtual" subs  (Read 1169 times)

jjkale

• Junior Woodchuck
Bi-amp Mains to create "virtual" subs
« on: December 22, 2016, 01:11:29 pm »

My Revel F208s are full range speakers and I have measured them with REW as having excellent response down to 35-ish.  So why should I bass manage them at 80?
I have the Revels in a 5.2 config along with the two dedicated subs, a PSA and a GoldenEar Sub X.  I want to create a single mono-summed sub channel for the two dedicated subs along with the mains.  This bi-amped input to the mains will be on the lower post.  I have a 7 channel amp.
But I don't want to lose any stereo information on the mains since the Revel engineer has told me that the Revels complex crossover network provides signal to the lower posts up to 270Hz.

1.  So basically I want all LF from all 5 speakers below 80 to go to the 2 dedicated subs and the mains as a single mono-summed channel.  Each driver could then be individually timed/eq'd with miniDSP.  This is easy enough to accomplish.
2.  But, on the mains I want to retain the stereo image on each between 270 and 80.
3.  Center and surrounds bass managed as standard at 80.

Can I accomplish this by using MC PEQ along with my miniDSP or do I need more than one mDSP?  I think I could do it with 2 more miniDSPs (one for each main) but is there an easier way with MC PEQ?

This system is for music only.  Yes, there is a .1 channel on bluray audio and DVD-A, but is it really LFE, i.e., is there really a need for the 10-15 dB adjustment?  And since the signal is analog out after DSP and DAC, wouldn't careful measurement with REW take care of that anyway?

Mojave, I read your answers to a similar thread back in January; it was the closest I could find to this. Along with the required mixing, I would add some muting steps for testing and a high pass for the mains at, say 40, to protect them.  And, I wouldn't eq much above 100.  I just can't figure out the mixing in order to retain stereo on the mains between 270 and 80.
Thanks very much to all and Happy Holidays!

Pages: [1]   Go Up