INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA search  (Read 2372 times)

noikokyra

DLNA search
« on: December 27, 2016, 06:04:40 pm »

JRiver has a powerful search system. But it's not available through DLNA?

Trying things like [Genre]="Soundtrack" don't return any results when issued at the search field of a renderer (like BubbleUPnP). It seems only simple search on filenames is working. Is this how it's supposed to be?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DLNA search
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2016, 02:36:13 am »

When you search in another application, you're using whatever search it has available.

If you were playing _to_ a DLNA Renderer from MC, you could use MC's search.

There is a wiki topic on DLNA that explains the basics.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 03:41:28 am »

JRiver has a powerful search system. But it's not available through DLNA?

Trying things like [Genre]="Soundtrack" don't return any results when issued at the search field of a renderer (like BubbleUPnP). It seems only simple search on filenames is working. Is this how it's supposed to be?

You are right. The MC media server does support the UPNP Search() method but only in an extremely rudimentary manner. And the MC control point also uses the UPNP Search() method in its most rudimentary form - Search('*') - to download libraries from other media servers. I don't think that JRiver has any intentions to extend this functionality. It's a shame.
Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

noikokyra

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 11:37:23 am »

Yes it's one of those things only a very few people wish for (for the time being).

I use BubbleUPnP from my phone as a control point and it allows me to search the media server. Don't know how extensive is its UPnP search (I can't test it), but JRiver being probably the best of its kind, should see that's it's not the last to implement such features. It's really a waste if all this work for such a powerful search system won't be extended to support DLNA requests also (well, if it's possible).

I know that maybe I could achieve this functionality from Gizmo, but would like to be using standards and be unbound from specific software cooperating with itself only.

PS: I was wrong that the search is currently working on filenames. Seems to be working on title (name) only. That's strange.. and maybe promising? I mean, if it works on a tag (which I suppose is more complex than just a filename), maybe it could be extended to other tags also?
Pages: [1]   Go Up