INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ALbum ratings?  (Read 2669 times)

a2hoo

ALbum ratings?
« on: July 23, 2003, 10:54:59 am »

I know this has been asked for before, but am unsure if there is a way to do it...

I would love to be able to rate "whole albums" in addition to the individual songs within the album....

there could be two ways to do this:

1)MC could average all of my song ratings and have an "overall rating for the album"

OR

2)MC could allow us to manually enter the album raitng

The "averaging option" would be kind of neat... then MC could list "top 100 rated albums" or things like that

Are either of these possible now or possible in the future?

Rands

• Galactic Citizen
  • How am I supposed to enjoy this with you crying?
Re: ALbum ratings?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2003, 11:16:26 am »

I really like this idea.  I'd be down with averaging as long as I could override that with a personal preference due to the fact that I sometimes think an album as a whole is better than its individual songs (i.e., the songs only really work when played together).
Toast goes in the toaster.

a2hoo

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 11:26:48 am »

Absolutely..

averaging would be cool because the order of averaged rankings may be surprising.

that said, customized rankings are important though.. for example, individual songs on "the White Album" may not be stellar, but my ranking for thw whole album would probably be higher than the song average ranking.

There could be a whole new view in Media Center wth alubm in order of ranking, with one icon for each album.  Click on any icon and the album;s song list comes up...

just an idea... again iver seen it here in the past a while back, but wanted to float it again

Kurt Young

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 12:16:14 pm »

Oh yes, SWEET!  Sweet sweet sweet!!!

Just think of the smartlists!  Just think of an iPod with a smartlist with all of the good albums on it.  Woot!

I humbly concur.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

a2hoo

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 12:31:38 pm »

I forgot about my Ipod.... that would be fantastic...

I fear I will run out of space on my 30 gig ipod.. album ratings would be a nice way to get rid of unwanted (on the ipod tracks)

nila

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2003, 12:51:34 pm »

I've asked for a type of 'Calculated field' that is the total sum of all the values that fall in that field (ie if you put rating it shows the rating of all the songs for that (album, artist, etc). if you put duration it could show the average or the total etc.

This would work with that easily - but to a lesser extent it could be implemented where the field is filled in automatically for each album and then the first time it is manually changed it sticks (like WMP9's rating scheme)

jleerigby

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2003, 01:47:45 pm »

I love the album rating idea based on average rating.  If MC can look at a whole album and work out 'album type' based on track numbers it can't be that hard to work out the 'album rating'.

I understand the reasons for wanting to override this with a custom rating but I think that this would have to be a separate field.  I mean, if this is just based on your perception you don't need any help from MC to set this value - it's just a manual task so you can do it now by creating your own field (call it MyFavAlbum). Then you could just set up some view panes with MyFavAlbum in one and MC's AlbumRating in another.

It wouldn't be good to override the MC calculated average - just sounds a bit messy to implement.

The way things are going I expect this would have to be a 9.2 candidate as they seem to be just ironing the bugs out now to get ready for public release (just a hunch).  If this is the case a2hoo you'll need to make sure you bump this thread when the time's right.

nila

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2003, 01:53:54 pm »

JLee - WMP9 does it.

It's not that hard (in theory)

U just have an invisible bit : automatic which is set as default to 0.

If someone manually edits the field then this value is changed to 1 and MC checks to see if it's 1 or 0 before trying to automatically change/update whatever the field.

If it's 1 MC doesn't change it - easy :)

nila

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2003, 01:56:14 pm »

JLee - Jim has said on a few occassions that they plan to do some big Hairstyle work before this release so I think the slowdown in the change log could be more down to an absence of Matt - notice Nicklay has been posting the releases.

Anyone spotted any posts from matt in the last couple of days? Maybe I'm too spaced out to have noticed them. :)

jleerigby

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2003, 02:48:26 pm »

JLee - WMP9 does it.

It's not that hard (in theory)

U just have an invisible bit : automatic which is set as default to 0.

If someone manually edits the field then this value is changed to 1 and MC checks to see if it's 1 or 0 before trying to automatically change/update whatever the field.

If it's 1 MC doesn't change it - easy :)

Sounds good as long as it's clear to the user whether it's a custom rating or calculated one with an option to remove the custom rating.  I hope that anything from WMP9 is not replicated here!

BTW - Matt posted in the 219 thread shortly after Nicklay released the build.

Isn't ............................................it........................fun...... ....................................typing a ..............................message..........................while........... .......................downloading the .............................new............................................... ........................................build.................................. ....with ............................................................................... .......................................your dial ..............................up .........connection................................................

gkerber

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2003, 06:58:53 pm »

Right now, MC doesn't seem to store anything at the album level, images (I think) just displays the image for the first file.

Not that it couldn't be done, but it does seem different than anything that's been done before.

nila

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2003, 11:54:25 pm »

Yeah, right now nothing is done at album/artist level - it's a flat db. No idea if this is going to change ever but if the cover art can be done for 'albums' then MC can already identify what it considers albums and so letting us have fields that relate to these 'albums' but are stored per track shouldn't be too big a change.

U have my sympathies with dial up - I dont even use the internet on dial up anymore - I'd rather go without, its just too slow and painful.

Waiting for each page to load is just GGGgggrrrrrr!!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up