INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Occasional noise after years of great performance  (Read 1551 times)

todd129

Occasional noise after years of great performance
« on: December 29, 2016, 10:02:51 am »

Hi all --

My system has begun to intermittently produce distorted noise during playback after years without trouble. I'm perplexed. I changed a number of settings, and it hasn't helped. It sounds almost like a process comes on that is competing with signal processing. The process wins! I'm running Win 10 & the latest / greatest MC downloaded from Interact. My DAC is a Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 DSD SE with it's own driver running in ASIO mode. My rig is a custom PC 16GB / i7 without overclocking or anything like that. The issue affects me whether I run from a local drive or a NAS drive. Any insights welcomed. This is a musical family, and we're miserable! Thanks!

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help Please: Frequent interrupting noise after years of great performance
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 10:56:16 am »

You need to see what's going on in your computer when you hear these noise bursts.

Press Ctrl-Alt-Del at the same time and choose Task manager from the menu that appears.  First click on the Performance tab to see what overall CPU and other activity levels are like.  Then  click on the Processes tab to see what is contributing.  If you report on your findings, you can probably get more specific advice.  I'll be away for a few days but others will probably see your post and respond.

Under Windows 10, the Windows 10 anti-virus software is more aggressive about real-time checking than it used to be. In the current Win 10 update, you can turn off that real-time checking temporarily but not permanently.

Windows 10 is an ongoing work in progress.  Automatic updates are difficult to defeat and they can change system behavior quite a bit.  We've moved from Win 7 to Win 10 for all our computers but there are downsides.

Spike1000

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 01:07:17 pm »

I wonder if this is the same as I've recently started to experience. I've had a 'stuttering' audio output on one of my NUC clients on 2 occasions. Haven't investigated it at all. Seems to happen after the client has been on for 24 hours or so. Went away after the client was rebooted on both occasions. Windows 10 running MC 22.0.41.

Edit: the 'stuttering' is constant and a 'few' Hz.

Spike

todd129

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 09:19:46 am »

Thanks to both of you for your tips. I hit the road for new year's and will test this when I'm back home.
Pages: [1]   Go Up