INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on ID + NAS  (Read 2252 times)

davisford

• World Citizen
Question on ID + NAS
« on: December 26, 2016, 08:50:06 pm »

Quick question on how the Id behaves with NAS.  I have maybe a terabyte of music on a NAS.  One of the reasons iTunes is horrible is because when you choose "import" from a drive it actually tries to copy all the music to a local drive.  I know Media Center doesn't do this, but I figure I'd ask before I consider buying an Id.  When you "import" from a NAS does it actually copy the files or just create a reference in a local db?

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Question on ID + NAS
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 02:17:25 am »

MC never copies the files when it imports.

MC can copy files with the Rename, Move, Copy tool but it doesn't do that unless you tell it to.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2016, 03:00:13 pm »

Have fun exploring:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Category:Frequently_Asked_Questions
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Import

Someone's been doing work on the Import entry. So you're in a better spot than I was when I started the journey.

Enjoy the read..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

davisford

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2016, 03:02:25 pm »

MC never copies the files when it imports.

MC can copy files with the Rename, Move, Copy tool but it doesn't do that unless you tell it to.

Hi Jim, If I understand you correctly, the Id is essentially a copy of Media Center running on Linux and a custom piece of hardware or hardware variants.  So when I trigger it to import a library from, let's say a NAS drive, it is doing the same thing Media Center does on the desktop -- scanning through the files, pulling meta-info and building a local database with a pointer to the actual file..is that a correct assessment?

Thanks in advance

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2016, 03:49:45 pm »

Yes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up