INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA with multiple networks?  (Read 9389 times)

eezetee

• World Citizen
DLNA with multiple networks?
« on: December 29, 2016, 09:36:46 am »

Has anyone been able to get DLNA (and chromecast) to work on 2 distinct networks say 192.168.x.0/24 and 192.168.y.0/24

Unless both the BubbleUPNP/JRiver are on the same subnet, no go.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: DLNA with multiple networks?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 05:51:59 pm »

Long answer: You would need a router between the two networks that can route TCP connections both ways between both networks. And also able to route UDP multi casts both ways between both networks. And also able to route UDP mono casts both ways between both networks. And you would need to inhibit any firewalls or av software from blocking traffic.

Short answer: No.

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

eezetee

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 09:49:33 pm »

Hi Andrew,

Thank you for the answer.

Regarding the long answer, I do have a router (well, a 3850 layer 3 switch with controller built in, a few AP's) and also a ASA Firewall so I can handle the routing part between the two networks.  However, it seems the DLNA has a TTL of 1 and is a local subnet broadcast as well. That I'm not sure how to get around.

I manage all of this equipment so I can what's needed but I cannot seem to get it to work (other than putting the wireless device on the same network as the server (dangerous)

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 04:54:03 am »

Ok it sounds like you have the TCP routing covered.

When UPnP devices come on line, they send SSDP NOTIFY Alive notifications via UDP Multicast on 239.255.255.250 on port 1900. Also when one device is looking for another, it sends an SSDP M-SEARCH Multicast on the same address. So your router needs to be able to route that traffic between the two networks. Also both clients have to subscribe to that Multicast Group address.

Furthermore when a device responds to an M-SEARCH request, it must respond with a NOTIFY via UDP Unicast to the IP address of the sender. So your router will need to route UDP Unicasts between the two networks too.

The UPnP specification specifies (recommends) a TTL of 4 so that SSDP multicasts can be routed locally but not too far. I did not check your player, nor MC, so it is possible that one or other of them does not comply to the UPnP specs and uses the stack's default TTL=1 instead. You need to put a network sniffer e.g. WireShark on the network to check it. If the problem is with MC you need to post that here. But if it is with the player you need to talk to the supplier. (If your router is really smart you may even be able to persuade it to route traffic with TTL=1 against the normal rules).

Note: If you use WiFi Access Points on any sub part of either of the two networks, then you also need to check that they are cabable of routing UDP Multicast and Unicast traffic..

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm

eezetee

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 09:28:30 am »

Thanks Andrew.  Very helpful!

I do indeed see the multicast NOTIFY messages to 239.255.255.250:1900  but I also see M-Search Http/1.1 to 255.255.255.255 and I don't think those can be routed.

I'm using a Chromecast with BubbleUPNP so I was wondering if the standard queries to 224.0.0.251 need to be forwarded as well?

The UDP routing on the unicast NOTIFY is no problem to allow through, I can open that wide up until I know what it is needs to pass (port numbers, etc)

My questions are,  is the Chromecast using DLNA? or it's only.   The SSDP was incorporated into DLNA, so is JRiver DLNA and the BubbleUPNP bridges that, I guess.

Wondering if anyone has gotten Chromecast or DLAN working across 2 networks (surely everyone's home servers are not on wireless, right?)

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 12:52:18 pm »

A few comments..

1. If you are interested in the full technical details, see this http://upnp.org/specs/arch/UPnP-arch-DeviceArchitecture-v2.0.pdf

2. The 255.255.255.255 and 224.0.0.241 addresses are nothing to do with UPnP so I can't speak for them at all. (Except to say that if a UPnP device is using those addresses, then it is broken..)

3. A note on terminology. The UPnP standards define the basic architecture of discovery command and control for ALL classes of UPnP devices, plus also the command and control syntax for SPECIFIC UPnP device classes (such as Digital Media Server or Digital Media Player). The DLNA is a guideline that builds on top of UPnP to provide more specific constraints to improve interoperability or DMS and DMR devices.A UPnP device need not be DLNA compliant, but a DLNA device MUST be UPnP compliant..

4. Unfortunately I don't know if Chromecast has any UPnP (or DLNA) functionality. But possibly it does not..

5. Your last question seems to imply that having a mixed topology network (e.g. a mix of wifi, Ethernet, PLC or whatever), requires you to use several sub-nets. That is actually not true, since it is perfectly possible to have a mixed topology on a single sub-net. (This is what I have).

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 01:32:53 pm »

I don't believe Chromecast supports DLNA / UPnP.

eezetee

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 09:27:56 pm »

A few comments..

1. If you are interested in the full technical details, see this http://upnp.org/specs/arch/UPnP-arch-DeviceArchitecture-v2.0.pdf

2. The 255.255.255.255 and 224.0.0.241 addresses are nothing to do with UPnP so I can't speak for them at all. (Except to say that if a UPnP device is using those addresses, then it is broken..)

3. A note on terminology. The UPnP standards define the basic architecture of discovery command and control for ALL classes of UPnP devices, plus also the command and control syntax for SPECIFIC UPnP device classes (such as Digital Media Server or Digital Media Player). The DLNA is a guideline that builds on top of UPnP to provide more specific constraints to improve interoperability or DMS and DMR devices.A UPnP device need not be DLNA compliant, but a DLNA device MUST be UPnP compliant..

4. Unfortunately I don't know if Chromecast has any UPnP (or DLNA) functionality. But possibly it does not..

5. Your last question seems to imply that having a mixed topology network (e.g. a mix of wifi, Ethernet, PLC or whatever), requires you to use several sub-nets. That is actually not true, since it is perfectly possible to have a mixed topology on a single sub-net. (This is what I have).

Thanks Andrew. I will look into this.  I'm going to try and see if I can statically forward those discovery messages from my wired network (Network X) to the Wireless multiple networks (Network Y).  It seems that Chromecoast uses the DIAL Protocol, BubbleUPNP discovers those and advertises them.   Seems unfortunate there isn't more cooperation in this area.

These could be all one big flat network, but due to security concerns, I have a firewall in the middle (routed mode) and a Cisco Catalyst 3850 with built in Wireless controller and 3 seperate AP's with 3 seperate WLAN's (Guests,  Home automation/camera's, and for TV PC's) .  They could be on one flat network but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that.

Pages: [1]   Go Up