INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Using a Mac client with a Windows server  (Read 2642 times)

zachawry

Using a Mac client with a Windows server
« on: December 31, 2016, 05:11:56 am »

Hi.

My music server is running Media Center 21 on Windows.
I'm trying to control it with Media Center 22 on Mac (and the iOS app).

I can usually control the server from my Mac, but I cannot make any changes to the playlists. This is really frustrating. I can see the Playlists on the server from my Mac, and I can play them, but any changes I make never "stick."

The same is true with the iOS app. I can control playback with the iOS app including playlists, but whenever I try to add songs to a playlist through the iOS app, it doesn't stick.

Also, this is weird, but often whenever I try to use my Mac to make the server play a song on my stereo through the server, the song will instead play on my Mac itself. I have to right-click to press "Play (There)," and that will cause it to play on the server. Sometimes that means that all other selections I make automatically come through the server (like I want), but sometimes I have to right-click and press "Play (There)" every single time. Then, magically, it will work like it's supposed to again.

This is very frustrating, and I've spend hours trying to figure it out. If anyone could give me a hint, I'd be very grateful. Thanks very much.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Totally lost...
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2016, 05:25:29 am »

Turn on "Authentication" on the server under MC's Media Network settings.

zachawry

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2016, 06:38:54 am »

Thanks a lot for your reply.

That works for adding to the playlist from the iPhone, but not from the client on the Mac.

Where do I enter the applicable Username and Password on the client side? I turned on Authentication on the client under Media Network settings, and entered the same username and password, it doesn't work and it seems like I should need to enter it somewhere else.

I also still have the problem that whenever I start up the client on the Mac, I have a hard time getting stuff to play on the server side. The server library will be loaded, I'll go to Audio, select and album, and pressing play will cause it to play on my client laptop, not on the server. I press "Play (There)" a bunch of time, and at some point that preference seems to stick.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2016, 06:43:18 am »

Try rebooting the client.  Both sides if that doesn't work.

zachawry

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2016, 06:57:58 am »

So, in order to allow other devices access to the server, I set a username/password under Options > Media Network > Authentication.

That makes sense.

But on the client side, I use this same path? That seems weird. Setting a username/password under Options > Media Network > Authentication on the client side seems like that would let other devices access the client, which is not what I want.

Either way, it still doesn't work after rebooting.

I also still have the problem that whenever I start up the client on the Mac, I have a hard time getting stuff to play on the server side. The server library will be loaded, I'll go to Audio, select an album, and pressing play will cause it to play on my client laptop, not on the server. I press "Play (There)" a bunch of times, and at some point that preference seems to stick.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2016, 07:02:59 am »

You only need to set up authentication on the server.

When you connect from a client, you will be asked to enter a login and password.

zachawry

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 07:08:38 am »

It asks for the Access key, but not the Authentication username/password.

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2016, 10:51:19 am »

It should ask for the Access Key first, then the login and password.  If you're not seeing that, maybe the server isn't correctly set, or you're connecting to a different server.
Pages: [1]   Go Up