INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unable to skip or seek when playing any video on a linux client  (Read 5474 times)

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Unable to skip or seek when playing any video on a linux client
« on: January 01, 2017, 02:04:04 pm »

Setup is a linux client running 22.0.51 connecting to a windows server, client is set to convert from the original format (to enable a BD to be played back on the client). Playback works fine but the track length is a few seconds long so any attempt to skip or seek causes it to reset to the start of the track. This renders the MC instance basically useless for video playback.

Search threw up this thread from ages ago - http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=74699.5 - which seems like the same problem.

Is this a known issue or something that is a function of some options in my setup?

Note that the server is set to not act as a DLNA server because of http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,107711.0.html

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Unable to skip or seek when playing any video on a linux client
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 02:27:29 pm »

Does it exhibit the same behavior:

1) With non-blu ray sources (.mkv, etc.) or
2) When set not to convert format?

I haven't had any problems seeking with video on Linux, but all my clients are set not to convert and I have not disk .isos, so it might be worth isolating which specific factor is causing the failure mode.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 02:43:50 pm »

same issue when the source is mkv but it works as expected when set not to convert

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 07:02:09 am »

Anyone know if this is meant to work?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 03:41:45 pm »

I tested this on windows using the same client config and with no changes to the server, seek works normally.

IMV this is a show stopping bug (or feature gap if it has never worked) for a video user of the Linux version as it means video is basically unusable unless the original format can be used.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 04:49:58 pm »

I tested this on windows using the same client config and with no changes to the server, seek works normally.

IMV this is a show stopping bug (or feature gap if it has never worked) for a video user of the Linux version as it means video is basically unusable unless the original format can be used.

I'm seeing the same behavior when I change my settings to match yours; that is a pretty big gap.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2017, 04:58:09 am »

I experimented with DLNA to see if that might workaround the problem

I turned the DLNA server on the server and turned on the renderer on the linux client. Video playback works and they show up with the correct length, pause/resume works correctly but seek causes the video to hang on the client and then crash. It also has quite unusual behaviour as it tends to automatically skip to the next track (film) at times. This seems to be an improvement but still basically quite broken.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 11:36:44 am »

Can reproduce this one. It's broken on Mac too.
Looking into it.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 05:30:27 pm »

OK so part of the problem was that the client couldn't get the duration. We worked around that by getting it from the local database entry.
Now the duration and progress bar are correct but you can't seek.
When conversion is happening, there is no content length in bytes but we do provide a time based content length.
However our Mac and Linux MC internet readers are not setup to handle time based seeks whereas the windows MC internet reader does this already hence the difference. This is an area that will show differences between platforms since they all use native methods of handling network access.
This is likely fixable on linux first. The Mac will probably take longer. It's now on the todo list.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 07:23:14 pm »

I manually worked around this on Windows by simply requesting the proper start time from the media server, can probably apply something similar for Linux/Mac when I'm back.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 03:27:41 am »

This is likely fixable on linux first. The Mac will probably take longer. It's now on the todo list.
excellent, thanks for investigating.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 04:25:44 am »

The next build should support basic seeking when streaming a video with conversion active. Its not perfect yet, but it does basically work.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up