INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reinstalling Windows:  Will I lose MC setting  (Read 877 times)

natethelen

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
Reinstalling Windows:  Will I lose MC setting
« on: July 23, 2003, 07:38:04 am »

I have to reinstall Windows.  I have my MP3s backed up.  I am wondering: do I lose my ratings on my MP3s?  Where is the ratings info stored?  Is there anything else I need to worry about backing up besides the album covers?  When I reinstall, are there any concerns with getting everything back into MC so I can't tell the difference?

lOth

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Reinstalling Windows:  Will I lose MC setting
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2003, 07:44:45 am »

It all depends on how you plan on reinstalling Windows. I assume you're not going to do a clean install, so you should be fine. I just did it a few days ago and it worked ok. I had just made a back up of my library in case but I didn't even need to use it.

natethelen

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2003, 07:58:32 am »

I am going to be doing a clean insall of Windows (I got a new hard drive).  But are you saying, just copy my whole JRiver folder onto the new hard drive and everything should work?  The only problem is my drive letter is going to change.  The main thing I am worried about are my song ratings.

jleerigby

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2003, 08:21:26 am »

If you are installing windows onto a partition on a new hard drive you'll need to reinstall MC afterwards.  Your ratings will be intact as they will either be stored in the MP3s themselves in which case they will be shown when you reimport all the files, or they are stored in your library, and you are going to back up your library to disk or another partition beforehand and restore it when MC is reinstalled.

Check the setting via General options (Update tags when file info changes).  To be honest, whatever the setting, I would still back up and restore your library as this is where your playlists are saved and someone told me that view schemes are saved there too (though I'm not sure about that one).

natethelen

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2003, 09:08:40 am »

When you say "Library", you are talking about the "Data" folder, right?  You are saying that I copy the backed up "Data" folder over the newly installed one before I run MC and it should work?  What if the path to all the MPes change?  Has anyone ever done this before?  Another scenario that would have the same issue would be if you bought a new computer, or if you had a laptop and were moving everything to your desktop.

Thanks,
Nate

jleerigby

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2003, 09:22:48 am »

In MC File> Library> BackUp Library.

You may want to copy the Cover Art Folder but there's no need to copy the whole data directory.
Pages: [1]   Go Up