INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Auto size columns: cut off long values  (Read 2314 times)

Grenache

• World Citizen
Auto size columns: cut off long values
« on: January 02, 2017, 06:34:53 am »

When I enable "Auto size columns", fields with lots of text (like [Description]) are taking up way to much space, so I constantly have to scroll horizontally. I've tried toggling the option "Allow auto size to cut off long values", but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong?

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Auto size columns: cut off long values
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 07:54:37 am »

The "Allow Auto Size to Cut Off Long Values" works on the "Name" column, but does not seem to do anything with "Description" or "Filename" columns (my two widest columns).

PS. It would be nice if we could specify the "maximum number of characters" (column width) to be displayed when the Auto Size Cut Off is activated.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 07:00:24 am »

The auto-size stuff scans the widths of everything.  If you have auto-size enabled, it uses the 100% mark.

If you say "Cut off long values" then it uses the 85% mark of the widths.

It only analyzes 50 items in the list instead of the entire list (for performance).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Grenache

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 07:16:07 am »

Matt, wouldn't it be better to show a maximum number of characters instead of a percentage of characters when "Cut Off Long Values" is enabled? For long value fields containing 200, 500 or 1000 characters a 85% cut-off doesn't make much sense and it's quite unusable because some fields (like Description and File Name) can be so wide that you need to do a lot of horisontal scrolling.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 07:20:40 am »

For long value fields containing 200, 500 or 1000 characters a 85% cut-off doesn't make much sense

It's not 85% of the longest value.

It's the 85% mark in the list of sorted widths.  So if you have widths of: 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 it would pick 400 instead of 500.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Grenache

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 08:20:26 am »

Hhmm... not sure I understand this, but anyway the 85% rule still makes some of the fields way too wide. How do I use Auto-size and at the same time restrict the width of long value field so at least they're not several screens wide? Of course you can always set the widths manually on the server, but when you have several clients with different screen resolutions, Auto-size is much more handy to use on the clients. Alternatively, would it be possible to make the coloumn widths independent from the server settings so they can be set (and remembered) on each client? Hope you get what I mean...  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up