INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume issues with JRSS downmixing to stereo  (Read 2829 times)

dorsetjon

• Recent member
Volume issues with JRSS downmixing to stereo
« on: January 02, 2017, 05:51:06 pm »

Hi,

I have stereo speakers, so DVDs & BluRays that only contain surround (5.1 or 7.1) audio are downmixed by JRiver using JRSS mixing. But this leaves the volume too low for speech, etc, i.e. the sound from the center channel. Turning up the volume helps but isn't satisfactory because speech etc, is still quiet compared to other sounds. As an experiment I used ffmpeg to downmix a ripped DVD and set the mix such that each stereo speaker used the centre channel and 30% of the left or right (as appropriate) surround channels. That produced far better results than via JRSS mixing. But I don't want to have to permanently downmix my ripped DVDs so is there a way to achieve what I want in JRiver?

I tried the Parametric Equalizer but that has no effect if JRSS mixing is turned on, and if JRSS mixing is turned off then the DVD won't play because JRriver says the number of channels isn't supported by the audio hardware. It feels like what I need is either for (a) JRSS mixing to be configurable so the mix/balance can be changed, or (b) be able to delete channels in the Parametric Equalizer so this functionality can be used for downmixing.

Is either of those things possible (or are there any plans to add them) or is there another way to achieve what I want?

Thanks,

Jon

Hilton

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Volume issues with JRSS downmixing to stereo
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 04:40:44 am »

You could maybe add a parametric equalizer to add centre to left and right speakers with some additional gain.

example - this is using a mix channels filter to add the centre to left and right and boost by 3db (sorry below screenshot should have used add - not move/replace)
If that doesn't work with JRSS on you can create your own downmix with the below filters for each channel and turn off JRSS.

centre boost by Hilton, on Flickr

Hilton

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 05:20:40 am »

Never mind - I tried both those options and your right once JRSS is invoked to downmix you cant alter the levels and playback fails without JRSS even if you move channels to L/R.

Hilton

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 05:35:04 am »

Found the answer for you - turn on adaptive volume night mode. It's not the prettiest solution but it adds 3db to centre channel and does some light compression.

Other thing you could do is create a second downmix stereo audio stream in addition to the standard mix when you rip. Some DVDs already have a 2.0 mix.  Then you may be able to switch between the streams depending on what system your watching on.   Don't know if you can change default stream though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up