INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mac Support Update?  (Read 3671 times)

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Mac Support Update?
« on: December 28, 2016, 08:33:15 pm »

Sorry if this was covered somewhere, but I searched the TV forum for Mac and the Mac forum for TV and didn't find much recent information.  Is this still on the horizon?  I'd like to use a Mac Mini in one room that would only ever watch TV or listen to music, so no real hardcore video processing.  It's almost there now with Theatre View support.

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Mac Support Update?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2016, 02:02:07 am »

We haven't made any progress on this.  Sorry.  It's still on the list, but I'm not sure whether it is possible.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2016, 02:32:17 pm »

Sorry to hijack this - how about Linux?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2016, 03:13:20 pm »

Basically the same answer applies. TV functionality is very platform dependent, and while some parts have been re-made to be re-usable in the future, its a long long way, and not even certain if or how well it would ultimately work.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 04:04:14 pm »

Thanks for the update.

In the meantime (since it sounds quite involved on each platform), being able to simply playback JTV files would be a huge step forward.  If that isn't possible, on the Window platform, being able to quickly convert a JTV file to another format that can then be picked up by the Mac and Linux clients would be great. 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 02:20:06 am »

You should be able to play any video file that MC on Windows play already.

You can also convert jtv to something else.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 10:52:47 am »

You should be able to play any video file that MC on Windows play already.

You can also convert jtv to something else.

When I do that (on my Mac choose to make it a different format in Tools > Options > Media Network > Client Options > Video Conversion), I can't fast forward.  In fact, if I try, it goes back to the beginning of the video.  Since I'm usually doing this for 4+ hour football games now, that's a rather large inconvenience.  On an semi-related note, and one I haven't reported, every time I play a file back like this on my Mac and hit the stop button, MC crashes.

Converting from JTV is a manual process, unless I'm missing something, and takes a long time.  To test it out, I just queued up a football game to convert from 1920x1080 to MP4 720p.  Perhaps my server is undersized, but it took about 14 minutes to do 5%.  That's almost the same time it took to record (4+ hours to convert).

If this process was faster, or less work for me, that would be helpful.  But as it is, I don't use those two options.

EDIT: Sorry if this response was more Mac-related than TV related.  I picked the TV forum because of the JTV format that seems to be the biggest holdup for me viewing the TV programs on a Mac.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 10:56:05 am »

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 11:00:28 am »

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2016, 10:02:36 pm »

If your have JTV files, you must be recording on a Windows PC, correct?

In that case read this: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=105793.0

and this: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,107498.msg746546.html#msg746546

The second option is easier. The first explains what is being done.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 09:40:25 am »

If your have JTV files, you must be recording on a Windows PC, correct?

In that case read this: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=105793.0

and this: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,107498.msg746546.html#msg746546

The second option is easier. The first explains what is being done.

Looks promising.  I'll have to set this up later.  Thanks!

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 05:13:48 pm »

Basically the same answer applies. TV functionality is very platform dependent, and while some parts have been re-made to be re-usable in the future, its a long long way, and not even certain if or how well it would ultimately work.
Could you at least make it so that Mac and Linux can be TV clients connected to a Windows server?  Perhaps it will already work that way, but when I initially tested it didnt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up