INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: convert error  (Read 4065 times)

FUMIAKI

• Recent member
convert error
« on: January 03, 2017, 08:15:56 am »

I tried to convert the dsf file to the flac file . But, always failed.
Please tell me how to conver the dsf to the flac.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: convert error
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 08:39:22 am »

I tried to reproduce this but the conversion worked fine for me.

Make sure you have DSP Studio off (or at least doing nothing major).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

FUMIAKI

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 04:47:01 am »

Thank you . I have made sure DSP Studio off. But,the conversion failed .
Only the conversion of 'dsf to flac' failed .
Why?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 07:47:34 am »

Is it possible you're converting a 2x or 4x DSF file (sample rate of 5,644,800 or 11,289,600)?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 10:57:55 am »

Here is what I do to convert DSD to PCM. It is not straightforward.

In the Convert File options, I enable DSP Studio and in Output Format put some number in the > 768K line. For 1x and 2x DSD it does not really matter what you put there, as MC always converts to 1/8th of the original frequency - a 2.82 KHz DSD (1x) goes to to 352 KHx PCM and a 5.5 KHz DSD (2x) goes to 705 KHz. If you want, for example, a 176 KHz final output, you need to put 176 Khz in the 352 or 705 KHz line. Never done it, but I guess if you do 4X DSD it converts to 1410 KHz, and then the number you put in the >768 KHz probably is used to convert to a lower sample rate, like 176 KHz or 352 KHz. 

Note that the DSP Studio option is the one you see in the Convert Format box, not the one in the general Audio options or in the Audio Path option. The options look the same, but  the general options are not applied to conversion or vice versa. You need to set specific DSP options in the Convert Fomat  pop-up under Options.

The code that MC uses for converting from DSD to PCM is a commonly available one that only converts to PCM at 1/8th of the original sample rate.  If the final goal is less than the 1/8th sample rate, it is probably good to have the new Sox converter option on. At least, I presume that the second conversion uses Sox if the Sox option is checked.

As far as I know, the Sox DSD to PCM converter was not implemented.

Give that a try.

FUMIAKI

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 09:10:57 pm »

Thank you for your replies.
The conversion of 1×DSF is possible. But,the conversion of 2×DSF is impossible.
And, the DSP Studio option in the Convert Format box does not appear.
How could I set DSP options in the the Convert Format?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 09:42:20 pm »

Conversion of 1x DSD to PCM and 2x DSD to PCM are both possible. I have done both.

In the Convert Box, select Options and then under Audio check Apply DSP, click on DSP settings and the DSP Studio options will appear.   Then check Output Format and follow my process above. 

FUMIAKI

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 08:41:31 am »

I could convert the 2×dsf to flac by putting some number in output format as you taught me.
Thank you very much.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 10:16:48 am »

Glad it worked.

When converting from DSD to PCM you need to use a filter to get rid of the high frequency noise. By default that filter is set at 24 KHz with a slope of 48 dB/octave. This is a very aggressive filter - much more aggressive than the one Sony originally specified, which starts at 50 Khz with a slope of 48 dB/octave, if I remember correctly. Unfortunately, MC does not provide a filter like the Sony one. Its higher frequencies ones have a more gentle fall off (24 dB/octave) which is not adequate to get rid of all the noise.

When I convert from DSD to PCM I disable the default filter and set my own filter in DSP Studio. I use a low pass filter set at 60 KHz with a 48  dB/octave slope. Either 50 KHz or 60 KHz should work fine.

To turn off the default filter go to Tools - Options - Audio - Advanced - Configure Input Plugin and select DSD. You can choose a filter there or disable it. If you disable it, be sure to use DSP studio to add your own.

In that plugin, you can also set the option to increase the volume by 6 dB when converting. The DSD standard is 6 dB lower than typical PCM files.

To set your own low pass filter in Convert File, check Parametric Equalizer in DSP Studio and Add a Low Pass filter and specify the frequency and the slope.

Good luck.

FUMIAKI

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 09:53:12 pm »

Thank you very much for your kindness. Your valuable information is very useful to me.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2017, 08:56:12 am »

Glad to help. Media Center has some good DSD features. Unfortunately, they are sometimes hard to use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up