INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: -playing now- in separate window ?  (Read 3711 times)

gfabi

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
-playing now- in separate window ?
« on: July 19, 2003, 02:33:22 pm »

Hi there,

though MJ is the greatest Music app i know, there's one thing  i miss ...
Wouldn't it be better to have the playing now list in a separate window in order to select songs just by drag'n drop  ?  Perhaps with a small trash icon in the corner to deselect songs ...
(I hope I don't make myself a foul - maybe it's it already possible ?)

... one more thing - will there be other language versions in future ? (what about german ;))
I think many users are willing to help if needed ...

greetings

nila

Re: -playing now- in separate window ?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2003, 03:12:30 pm »

It'd be nice but we've asking for split screen for ages so we can do this - it's not happening any time soon unfortunately!

Just keep praying :)

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2003, 03:22:13 pm »

I remember Norton Utilities back some 8 years ago had split screen for File manager that was always nice to be able to move files from one folder to the other and know what was going on in both.

I miss that program
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

nila

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2003, 03:36:24 pm »

King - have you tried WinCommander or anything?

That does split screen - only thing is you loose the tree's which is why I stick to explorer, If I could have explorer and split screen's I'd be happy :

phelt

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2003, 04:12:49 pm »

Nila - you might be interested in Powerdesk. Dual panes, trees and file lists in both. Does folder sync and a bunch of other stuff.

nila

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2003, 01:07:09 am »

Thanks,
I'll check it out.

gvag

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2003, 02:15:13 am »

phelt - you beat me to it.  I've been using PowerDesk since losing Norton Desktop in the transition from 3.1 to 95.  It's a great alternative to Explorer and the Dialog Helper utility is a nice bonus.

Re split screen.  I wrote a WinBatch script that gives me split screen in 9.0.175, don't know if it would work in later versions or not.  Its not very flexible and the method of copying is a hack but it does let you see Playing Now or any other playlist and copy to the target while browsing your files.

nila

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2003, 06:01:27 am »

u should see if it still works and post a link to it.

We could play with it then :)

DJ_Hazelwood

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2003, 07:41:43 am »

Hi!

I also think that MJ (or MC) is the best application for organizing and playing your media.

But (just like gfabi) i am missing the separate 'playing now' - view. Almost every media-application has its 'playing now'.

In MC Version 9.1 we have the properties-area in the left lower half of the screen (under the organization-tree). Here we can (currently) switch between:

- file info(properties)
- playlists
- format
- statistics

I think an additional view within this area ('playing now') with some  functionality like drag and drop would be a great feature.

greetings

nila

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2003, 08:39:59 am »

We had that in one build, it just didn't work too well so it was taken out.

The area was just too smally to use properly if I remember correctly.

gvag

• Junior Woodchuck
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2003, 06:18:32 pm »

Hi Nila -

Here's a link http://members.shaw.ca/gvag/MC_TLV.zip to the script I wrote.  If it works at all with later versions than 9.0_0_175 I could make some changes and add some features.

I really am hesitant to upgrade to later versions of MC and go thru yet another learning curve.  I was essentially happy with MJ 8 but couldn't get it to work with my new CDR.  I'm only interested in music and cover art.

Let me know what happens.

thanks

gvag

nila

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2003, 11:52:15 pm »

there isn't that big a learning curve with MCv9.1 - mainly just the panes vs the old tree view - most of the old tricks u learnt from v9 can be moved accross pretty easily.

It's worth an upgrade :)

The script didn't work unfortunately.

BDR

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2003, 12:06:47 pm »

I also am in complete agreement with the need for a seperate window for "Playing Now".  Currently you have to drag to the "Playing Now" icon which as I mentioned in another post on this subject is tricky due to it's small size and sometimes I activate the adjoining items on the tree.

Someone had mentioned to just drag the file up to the player bar at the top of the screen (MC9.1).  This only works for one album at a time.  If I try to add another it replaces the old one with new.

A seperate window would be so much easier, just as gfabi and DJ_Hazelwood suggested.  It would also be nice to have an easy way to drag and delete from the "Playing Now".  

I am trying to set my system (tied to whole house stereo in living room) up so that I (and more importantly the wife and kids) can manage the playing of music with just the mouse (no keyboard).  It would be nice to be able to delete a whole album with just a click and drag.  Currently if I accidently select the wrong album or change my mind, I have to drag out the keyboard, do a shift/control/arrow down to select all of the songs and then hit delete. (Let me know if there is an easier way)  

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2003, 12:23:05 pm »

I am trying to set my system (tied to whole house stereo in living room) up so that I (and more importantly the wife and kids) can manage the playing of music with just the mouse (no keyboard).  It would be nice to be able to delete a whole album with just a click and drag.  Currently if I accidently select the wrong album or change my mind, I have to drag out the keyboard, do a shift/control/arrow down to select all of the songs and then hit delete. (Let me know if there is an easier way)

Use the right-click menu.  Specifically "Send To > Play > Remove"
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Kurt Young

• Tastes like crab, talks like people.
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2003, 12:36:19 pm »

Woah, I must have missed it... but it's gone now.

A while back, they experimented with putting "Playing Now" in the bottom left, kind of another "page" in the "File Properties" window.

It's gone now... what happened to it?  I was kind of digging it.
 mjextman.exe /ipodsync

BDR

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2003, 12:39:06 pm »

The right click is good for one song at a time, but if I want to delete a whole album, it would be nice if I could expand contract from an album view vs. songs view so that with one click, I delete a whole album.  Is there a way to select a group of files with just the mouse?

jleerigby

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2003, 12:52:22 pm »

BDR - Not a proper solution to your problem but since you mention that you want to be able to do everything with the mouse and don't like having to get the keyboard out I thought I'd mention this:

If you are running XP you can use on-screen keyboard (Start>Programs>Accessories>Accessibility) whenever you find a task for which there is no mouse action.  I just created a shortcut to it on my quick launch bar and set it to display 'always on top', then I minimise or close after use.  I don't use it that often but it does come in handy occassionally.  Don't know if it exists in other OS.

Update - Another good use for this for example is where you want to highlight a load of non-contiguous items in a list (holding control and clicking each one).  If you use on-screen keyboard to press control it stays pressed so you are never in danger of losing your selection by accidentally letting go of the control key and clicking the mouse.

Just a bit of useless info for ya.........

DJ_Hazelwood

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2003, 09:58:33 pm »

We had that in one build, it just didn't work too well so it was taken out.

The area was just too smally to use properly if I remember correctly.

Hi Nila.

What about showing only a few informations within this 'playing now' area. For example:

Seq   Name/Artist                                          Duration
-------------------------------------------------------------------
 1     Name 1                                                 03:50
        Artist 1
 2     Name 2                                                 04:10
        Artist 2

I think this should be enough information.

Another suggestion:
If we could select the columns for this 'playing now'-view within the options, each user could configure it on its own.

Greetings

nila

« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2003, 12:15:03 am »

Hey DJ - I'm just a guest here like you.
You need to suggest that to Matt - he's the main coder for the main app.

I think it just had a lot of bugs and a lot of work was taken to maintain it. It was just looking really dodgy if I remember - it wouldn't fit on display without scrolling left and right and just looked really bad.

Hopefully one day we'll get split screen which will be the proper implementation of this as we will get the full screen width and so be able to use it properly.

phelt

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2003, 02:32:01 am »

Hopefully one day we'll get split screen which will be the proper implementation of this as we will get the full screen width and so be able to use it properly.

Yea verily and amen.

Marko

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2003, 02:51:01 am »

I had a look at powerdesk some time ago (it's a well hyped piece of software) and it just didn't do it for me for some reason.
I went with Directory Opus for my explorer replacement. File management has never been so easy :)

Split screen in MC would be the dog's wotsits :D

nila

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2003, 04:48:18 am »

I'm going to give it a shot,
it looks really good :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up