INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC22.0.51 NUC display issue  (Read 4142 times)

Rizlaw

• Galactic Citizen
MC22.0.51 NUC display issue
« on: January 04, 2017, 10:03:37 am »

After 8 years of continuous duty my main desktop PC died. :'(  I put together a new Skull Canyon NUC over the Holidays and reinstalled Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS and a new downloaded copy of MC22.0.51.  I am using the Intel graphics that comes with the NUC. When I started MC22 I noticed horizonal lines all over the main window of MC22. As I moved the mouse over the areas where these lines where placed, they would disappear. The effect was like using the eraser function in a graphic drawing application. Once gone, the lines did not reappear unless I changed the view of the main window. 

I have attached a small portion of the top of the MC22 main window to show what I am seeing. Note the white horizontal lines inside the transport buttons and several other areas.
Ubuntu Gnome 20.04 LTS

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC22.0.51 NUC display issue
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 03:02:28 pm »

I suspect an issue with the intel driver for your NUC and the kernel.
I've been messing with Mojave's skull canyon here and I had to use very new builds of both to get it to work properly.

mikeza

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 05:06:29 pm »

I am also having this display issue but on the new build of MC and a laptop with intel graphics. Any advice?

Edit: Changing the Size % in view appears to have fixed this.. ?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 02:10:15 pm »

I am also having this display issue but on the new build of MC and a laptop with intel graphics. Any advice?

Edit: Changing the Size % in view appears to have fixed this.. ?
What did you change it to?
Also, did you try different skins?

mikeza

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 05:03:11 pm »

It occurs for every skin (I actually did try them all).

Changing the size % to an arbitrary value then back seems to temporarily resolve it (the issue returns when the view changes drastically i.e. scrolling through albums). I'd assume this is because everything is being redrawn as it is when you mouseover.

This actually appears to be a window drawing issue with i3-gaps. When I full-screen the window I don't see any glitches. Unfortunately it's not ideal to have it full screen all the time because then dialog boxes are hidden. I haven't had a problem with any other apps so it must be something in JRiver -- any ideas? It's coming and going after being full-screen for a while and going back to a normal window, super weird.

Related: http://askubuntu.com/questions/539400/video-glitch-dashed-horizontal-lines-on-intel-graphics

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 01:24:27 pm »

It occurs for every skin (I actually did try them all).

Changing the size % to an arbitrary value then back seems to temporarily resolve it (the issue returns when the view changes drastically i.e. scrolling through albums). I'd assume this is because everything is being redrawn as it is when you mouseover.

This actually appears to be a window drawing issue with i3-gaps. When I full-screen the window I don't see any glitches. Unfortunately it's not ideal to have it full screen all the time because then dialog boxes are hidden. I haven't had a problem with any other apps so it must be something in JRiver -- any ideas? It's coming and going after being full-screen for a while and going back to a normal window, super weird.

Related: http://askubuntu.com/questions/539400/video-glitch-dashed-horizontal-lines-on-intel-graphics
I think this is a X driver bug. Can you try the "Alternative" solution listed here:
https://fedoramagazine.org/solution-graphics-issues-intel-graphics-chipsets-fedora-22/

mikeza

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 10:38:22 pm »

They said they fixed the bug in kernel version 4.0.5 and I'm on 4.8.13. I'd rather not run the old/slower graphics acceleration architecture long term. That said, I'd be willing to apply that alternative fix temporarily to see if it fixes it.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 12:03:02 pm »

They said they fixed the bug in kernel version 4.0.5 and I'm on 4.8.13. I'd rather not run the old/slower graphics acceleration architecture long term. That said, I'd be willing to apply that alternative fix temporarily to see if it fixes it.
It would be interesting to know...

mikeza

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 01:03:58 pm »

It would be interesting to know...
I tried it and it didn't load UXA which seems peculiar.

Also, I wonder if it's because I'm running KabyLake SNA?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2017, 03:28:39 pm »

I tried it and it didn't load UXA which seems peculiar.
Also, I wonder if it's because I'm running KabyLake SNA?
Looks like it's not paying attention to your conf file.
Pages: [1]   Go Up