INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finding Digi+  (Read 4278 times)

tsurkamp

• Recent member
Finding Digi+
« on: January 05, 2017, 10:42:17 am »

I'm working on this IdPi build and can't get my HiFiBerry Digi+ to operate. It is an older unit and in the past, has needed it's device tree edited.

I can see my NAS, play through the HDMI on the RPi3, but the optical connector dosen't light (power light is on). The available options for aduio device either don't work for the Digi+ or are the HDMI options.

In an eariler post, someone mentioned they were able to change the device tree.

Being the total linux noob, I can't even get past the mainmenu to a linux prompt. How do I make this happen, please?

Thanks for your help and I look foward to this IdPi upgrading to MC22.

duncan4791

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Finding Digi+
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 02:46:56 pm »

I have the same board, here is what you can do.
Shutdown the IdPi and remove the SD card. Put the SD card into a SDcard reader on another PC. Open the cards directory, in the root directory  find Config.txt and open to edit in a text editor. At the end of the file add the line "dtoverlay=hifiberry-digi". If you wish to disconnect onboard audio find the line "dtparam=audio=on" and put a "#" in front. Save the file as text. Install in IdPi and boot up. This should active the HiFiBerry Digi+ driver.

If you read the SD card on a linux machine (put a Rasbian install on the pi and use a usb SDcard reader) you can access the full directory structure. HifiBerry recommends adding the following to /etc/asound.conf :

pcm.!default  {
 type hw card 0
}
ctl.!default {
 type hw card 0
}
This will cause the digi to be default audio device.

All this can be found at https://support.hifiberry.com/hc/en-us/articles/205377651-Configuring-Linux-4-x-or-higher

Hope it helps.

tsurkamp

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 10:43:41 am »

Thank you, Duncan!

I can say "Thanks for sharing!" without sarcasm.

Worked Great!

duncan4791

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 11:47:52 am »

tsurkamp, your welcome.

One addtional point the HiFiBerry Dac+Pro and Digi+ Pro do not work with the IdPi nor with Volumio, Kobo, Rune and most other music servers, that I have tried, unless they have updated recently. The kernel needs to be updated the the latest by JRiver. So there is no point in buying the higher function boards if you are not going to be using them with either Raspian or some other 4.4.19+ kernel.

tsurkamp

• Recent member
Re: Finding Digi+(after upgrade to MC22)
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 10:15:28 am »

Back again...

Got my upgrade to MC22 installed and once again my digi+ is not working.

This time the card is recognized as a hifiberry digi+, offers 4 different drivers, music will play with no sound coming out.

There is NO light coming from the optical input.

I have not used your recommendation to make the digi+ the default player because I don't have the usb disc reader nor a SD disc to reboot the Rpi to a Raspian and change the code.

I will get the stuff if this is my only solution.

But since it wasn't needed before, I wonder if there is anything else that I might try do since the upgrade to MC22 is the only change that was made.

Thanks AGAIN for your help.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Finding Digi+(after upgrade to MC22)
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 03:57:55 pm »

Back again...

Got my upgrade to MC22 installed and once again my digi+ is not working.

This time the card is recognized as a hifiberry digi+, offers 4 different drivers, music will play with no sound coming out.

There is NO light coming from the optical input.

I have not used your recommendation to make the digi+ the default player because I don't have the usb disc reader nor a SD disc to reboot the Rpi to a Raspian and change the code.

I will get the stuff if this is my only solution.

But since it wasn't needed before, I wonder if there is anything else that I might try do since the upgrade to MC22 is the only change that was made.

Thanks AGAIN for your help.
The current Raspbian kernel doesn't support your device.
When the Raspbian jessie repo updates to 4.9 (which is supposedly any day now), we'll look at making that the default kernel.

tsurkamp

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2017, 07:07:35 pm »

I'm certainly no expert here, but to be clear I am using a Digi+ that was purchased in 2015. It has been working great until the upgrade to MC22. I am reading ( a post from Duncan elsewhere) that the Digi+ Pro will require the new kernel. I don't have one of those.

Sorry but I am surprised that the old board would not be workable.

If you are right...I have a bone to pick with HiFiBerry.

THX

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 10:22:31 am »

It worked with MC20 on the Id Pi?
Sounds like I got the boards confused then.

What are the Audio Device selections in MC's setup on your Id?
You should be looking for something like
front: blah blah.

You can also do function 10 on the main menu to see what are the installed audio devices the Id sees.

tsurkamp

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2017, 05:13:42 pm »

The RPi shows...

(under option #10)
Card 0, ID 'sndrpihifiberry', name 'snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi'
    Device 0, ID "HiFiBerry Digi wm8804=spdif=0'        etc.

Under Audio Device
There are four choices...
1. default:CARD=sndrpihifiberry (ALSA) snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi
2. hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry (ALSA) snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi
3. plughw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry (ALSA) snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi
4. sysdefault:CARD=sndrpihifiberry (ALSA) snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi

nothing that begins with "front".

And it was working great as MC20.

For some reason, MC22 can't turn the Digi+ on - no power light comes on the Digi+.

An aside question...I have during the upgrade process checked 3 times to be sure that I have all of the updates for MC22. First two checks made changes as expected, but when I checked again it ran an update that looked like the 2nd update being repeated. So I did it again and it ran the same update.

I guess I'm thinking  that the update is not recognizing that it has been done. Not that it seems to be causing any problem, but it seems a little strange.

THX

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2017, 11:12:33 am »

The RPi shows...

(under option #10)
Card 0, ID 'sndrpihifiberry', name 'snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi'
    Device 0, ID "HiFiBerry Digi wm8804=spdif=0'        etc.

Under Audio Device
There are four choices...
1. default:CARD=sndrpihifiberry (ALSA) snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi
2. hw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry (ALSA) snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi
3. plughw:CARD=sndrpihifiberry (ALSA) snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi
4. sysdefault:CARD=sndrpihifiberry (ALSA) snd_rpi_hifiberry_digi

nothing that begins with "front".

And it was working great as MC20.

For some reason, MC22 can't turn the Digi+ on - no power light comes on the Digi+.

An aside question...I have during the upgrade process checked 3 times to be sure that I have all of the updates for MC22. First two checks made changes as expected, but when I checked again it ran an update that looked like the 2nd update being repeated. So I did it again and it ran the same update.

I guess I'm thinking  that the update is not recognizing that it has been done. Not that it seems to be causing any problem, but it seems a little strange.

THX
What supported formats and sample rates does menu item #10 show?

Did you notice what packages it was trying to upgrade the 2nd time??

Thanks.

duncan4791

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2017, 03:03:01 pm »

Just a note:

Pretty much the same as tsurkamp.

I have an Digi standard so I tried it. The IdPi recognizes it and Media Center can configure for it, but no data gets sent to the device. When the digi gets a bit stream (observed under latest Raspian) the optical transmitter turns on, when the data stops the light turns off. The IdPi does not light up the optical transmitter. Media Center, itself, is happily playing the selected track so the data must be going somewhere.

I am not getting the Default option for some reason.

Things are getting weirder! As a retired software programmer I realize the complexity of your product and supporting it on 8 or 9 platforms. Your doing a good job, as far as I can tell. Good luck figuring it all out.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 03:48:56 pm »

Just a note:

Pretty much the same as tsurkamp.

I have an Digi standard so I tried it. The IdPi recognizes it and Media Center can configure for it, but no data gets sent to the device. When the digi gets a bit stream (observed under latest Raspian) the optical transmitter turns on, when the data stops the light turns off. The IdPi does not light up the optical transmitter. Media Center, itself, is happily playing the selected track so the data must be going somewhere.

I am not getting the Default option for some reason.

Things are getting weirder! As a retired software programmer I realize the complexity of your product and supporting it on 8 or 9 platforms. Your doing a good job, as far as I can tell. Good luck figuring it all out.

There is no way this should be different than in MC 20. I was wanting to see his full output from option 10 to see what the device actually supports.

You might check to see if the volume is set to system or internal (I'd suspect it should be internal) and if the audio mixer option from the main menu shows the device muted or something weird.

duncan4791

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 04:00:56 am »

Hi again.

Taking your suggestion I looked at the alsamixer and found that it was defaulting to S/PDIF Rx instead of Aif. Changing it to the right setting fixed it.

Thanks.
Sent from JRiver IdPi Firefox Browser.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 10:53:14 am »

Hi again.

Taking your suggestion I looked at the alsamixer and found that it was defaulting to S/PDIF Rx instead of Aif. Changing it to the right setting fixed it.

Thanks.
Sent from JRiver IdPi Firefox Browser.
Nice!
Cute sending from the browser too ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up