INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unboxed Id today, booted up, select GUI mode, reboot...nothing  (Read 2749 times)

davisford

• World Citizen
Unboxed Id today, booted up, select GUI mode, reboot...nothing
« on: January 05, 2017, 12:43:19 pm »

Like the subject says.  I just got this today.  Booted up and saw the text menu.  I select 1 for GUI mode, and it reboots, but I no longer get any video output -- not even the boot messages from Linux?

How to fix?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Unboxed Id today, booted up, select GUI mode, reboot...nothing
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 12:45:33 pm »

Press and hold the power button until it shuts down.  Then pull the power cord.  Then try again.  I'm sorry for the problem.

davisford

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 12:51:30 pm »

Thanks Jim -- did as instructed.  Held down the power button until all LEDs went out.  Pulled power cable.  Wait a few sec.  Plugged it back in.  Plugging it back in seems to cause it to boot? ...as the disk drive led starts flash, network leds come on, and the power led lights up...

Waited about 2-3 minutes, but still no video output.  If I simply press the button (not hold), it seems to turn it off.

davisford

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 12:56:05 pm »

Quick follow-up: I figured maybe I'll try and see if it is on the network with the JRemote app, but that requires either an app key or an IP address -- I have neither since I can't see what's going on.  Is there an app key baked into it that I can use?

I might be able to see if it pulled an IP from my router.

Ok, I did find it and was able to connect to it from JRemote, but I need to point it to an external NAS on the network to have it build the library.  Maybe I don't need the video output if it is pre-configured for HDMI audio output (what I want).

But the DHCP is going to be annoying since JRemote will likely lose it.  How can I configure the app key on the Id instead, so it can discover IP changes?

davisford

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 01:04:13 pm »

VNC does work, so that is good news. http://imgur.com/P6raNUf

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 02:46:55 pm »

Quick follow-up: I figured maybe I'll try and see if it is on the network with the JRemote app, but that requires either an app key or an IP address -- I have neither since I can't see what's going on.  Is there an app key baked into it that I can use?

I might be able to see if it pulled an IP from my router.

Ok, I did find it and was able to connect to it from JRemote, but I need to point it to an external NAS on the network to have it build the library.  Maybe I don't need the video output if it is pre-configured for HDMI audio output (what I want).

But the DHCP is going to be annoying since JRemote will likely lose it.  How can I configure the app key on the Id instead, so it can discover IP changes?
Assign the Id a fixed address on your router if possible using it's Mac address. Most routers have a way of doing this (it can be called a static lease).

You absolutely should be able to boot into GUI mode.
Please try re-selecting text mode from the main menu via VNC then while back in text mode, try GUI mode again.

davisford

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 05:45:03 pm »

Hi Bob, I think I'm good now.  For some reason it whacked out my monitor; even after I plugged it back into my Mac, it wouldn't come on.  I had to pull the power on the monitor and it came back on the Mac.  I haven't tried it again on the Id, b/c I don't need it with VNC.

I was able to import external NAS library and got it set up just fine.  I do have a question on changing the audio output though.  My darn receiver has 2 zones, the first zone I have for my TV, the second is wired to speakers in every room of my house.  Unfortunately Zone 2 does not support HDMI.

I want to try USB.  But I see this: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id_Audio_Devices can someone elaborate on this:

In Internet Explorer, you can do this by running Explorer and clicking on the Id Renderer (green play button) under Media Devices. This will start the Id's server in your browser.

Do I need to install some kind of plugin into IE?  Does it only work with IE?  I tried hitting the device's IP in Chrome, and nada.

One more question: the NUC supports both 1/8" analog out as well as optical.  I have an optical cable that would work in that jack.  Any remote chance I can have the device spit out digital and treat that as an optical output?

Thanks much for the responses.  I also write software for a living and understand how grueling it is to answer support questions.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 01:50:24 am »

Do I need to install some kind of plugin into IE?  Does it only work with IE?  I tried hitting the device's IP in Chrome, and nada.
Explorer > Network.  Not IE.

You could also take a look at Panel.  You can use it to control a copy of MC.  Here's an example of what you enter in a browser:

http://192.168.0.12:52199

Search for information on Interact.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 10:39:50 am »

I want to try USB.  But I see this: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Id_Audio_Devices can someone elaborate on this:
Those are the default devices. Most any USB DAC will also work.
One more question: the NUC supports both 1/8" analog out as well as optical.  I have an optical cable that would work in that jack.  Any remote chance I can have the device spit out digital and treat that as an optical output?

Thanks much for the responses.  I also write software for a living and understand how grueling it is to answer support questions.
Yes you can use the Optical out. It will show up in the device list as IEC985:.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up