INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newb Alert: Confused by how long Auto-Import is taking  (Read 3392 times)

vegpwrd

• Recent member
Newb Alert: Confused by how long Auto-Import is taking
« on: January 06, 2017, 07:17:47 am »

I recently downloaded MC22. I selected auto-import. It's been importing for 2hrs and only completed 933 of my 37,000 files. Seems like this process is going to take days. Also i play music files from a hard drive. Under the impression(from what i've read in attempts to figure this out before posting a question) that MC22 is not re-copying files to computer. . .it's simply re-labeling them but will still pull from hard drive to access files for playing?

Additionally, it's importing all my photos which i don't really mind because i like the way it's laying them out. It's a time thing. Wondering if i can postpone the photo import and focus on the music files right now?

Thank you.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Newb Alert: Confused by how long Auto-Import is taking
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 07:22:50 am »

You can set  your import options in Tools > Import.

Something isn't right.

Antivirus?

USB 3.0 drive on a USB 2.0 port?

vegpwrd

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 01:18:38 pm »

You can set  your import options in Tools > Import.

Something isn't right.

Antivirus?

USB 3.0 drive on a USB 2.0 port?

JimH, thanks for the reply.  I do not have antivirus software...i thought that was one of the advantages about owning a Mac? My USB port is 2.0

the thing is: it's not even close to accessing my music because it's still working on my photos from the internal hard drive of my laptop. It's been 5 hours and only process 2800 of the 38,000 files(i guess the 38K files refers to images and audio?

I chose JRiver because it's been recommended over Audirvana+. My trial period with A+ just ended. A+ was so much easier to use. Should i stick with JRiver because of the long term benefits?

FYI all my music files are AIFF and through iTunes.

vegpwrd

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 01:25:23 pm »

tried Tools>Import 

designated that it only import from music files . It's ignoring that command and continuing to import images.  ?

vegpwrd

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 01:28:35 pm »

Again, i researched my issues before this query. Does it matter that all my music files are on an external hard drive? My research suggested it doesn't. . .

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 02:15:22 pm »

My USB port is 2.0
Is your audio on a USB 3.0 drive?  That may be the bottleneck.

vegpwrd

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2017, 06:13:20 pm »

Is your audio on a USB 3.0 drive?  That may be the bottleneck.

No, the hard drive is 2.0 too.

What about the fact that the program is ignoring my command to stop importing images?

Thanks

vegpwrd

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2017, 07:49:47 pm »

The saga continues. . .

I re-booted MC22 and restarted my computer. MC will not download my music files. It will only download image files. Is it something within iTunes that's preventing the import?

vegpwrd

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2017, 08:07:54 pm »

Ok. I think i figured it out. I had to load the files manually using : Tools>Import>Import Single Folder>Browse>(select my hard drive)>(select music files within hard drive) = adding files to library.   Everything i've read thus far says MC will find the files no matter where they are. . .not the case in my situation.

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2017, 07:36:39 am »

MC has a short list of locations that it will look in THE FIRST TIME, you run it.

After that, it's up to you to configure Auto Import to tell MC where it should look for new music files.  The "auto" part of Auto Import is *not* that it looks everywhere by itself.  The auto part is that once you configure your Auto Import location(s), MC will look there all the time.  So any time you put new music in your Auto Import location(s), MC will automatically import it without being told.

You can have several different auto import locations if you want.  I have a good number, broken up by media type.  One for Movies, one for Music, etc.

I hope you enjoy using MC from here forward.  :)

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up