INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tidal on JRiver Pi id micro sdhc card for Rasberry pi 3?  (Read 4042 times)

Willom

• Recent member
Tidal on JRiver Pi id micro sdhc card for Rasberry pi 3?
« on: January 07, 2017, 11:26:35 am »

Is one able to stream Tidal using the Rasberry Pi 3 computer with the pre-programmed JRiver Pi id micro sdhc card program installed in it? Reason I ask is that Tidal just started streaming MQA files and would love to be able to play them using JRiver and my Rasberry Pi 3.
Thanks,
Willom

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Tidal on JRiver Pi id micro sdhc card for Rasberry pi 3?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 11:40:48 am »

No.  JRiver doesn't support Tidal or MQA.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 12:27:11 pm »

No.  JRiver doesn't support Tidal or MQA.

I'm told we do support MQA.  If you have a DAC that accepts MQA and play at 100% volume with Media Center, the MQA data is transmitted perfectly and bitstreaming engages.

That's at least what I've been told by a high end audio company.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 12:46:02 pm »

I think if someone chooses bitstreaming in MC, and the DAC supports the filetype, it could work.  That's not quite MQA support.

Trumpetguy

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 06:07:49 am »

I'm told we do support MQA.  If you have a DAC that accepts MQA and play at 100% volume with Media Center, the MQA data is transmitted perfectly and bitstreaming engages.

MQA in Tidal is limited to the new "Masters" selection of albums, it seems, as far as I am able to figure from articles. In the audio output config, one can select "Passthrough MQA". Then Tidal will not decode the MQA content (?). If MC is bitstreaming, the MQA should simply be passed untouched through MC, right?

Another interesting thing is that Tidal does software decoding of MQA if you do not select the passthrough option. The Masters collection then transmits to MC in 88.2/24 or 96/24. It sounds marvellous. Marvellous enough for me to be listening to Country* music... My guess is that it has less to do with the hirez part of it and more to do with the Masters collection being really well engineered during the recording, mixing and mastering process.

*Nothing wrong with Country music, just not my personal preference :-)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 10:30:27 am »

There's also another potential roadblock, which is that the Id Pi runs on MediaCenter for Linux which lacks any kind of loopback or line in support.  That's a windows-only MC feature, and AFAIK, MC doesn't allow loopback input to be streamed across DLNA, so it can't be routed from one instance over to the pi. 

So I'm not sure how Tidal content would get into the MediaCenter chain in any case (unless Tidal supports playback to DLNA devices itself).  There may be some kind of work around with Bubble UPNP on an android device, but I think the main answer to OP's question is probably "no"

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 03:01:58 am »

Berkeley?
Pages: [1]   Go Up