INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Library repeating the same album with various artists - Help!!  (Read 3150 times)

TedTimmis

Library repeating the same album with various artists - Help!!
« on: January 07, 2017, 04:06:30 pm »

I am looking for some help.  Many of my albums on MC are displayed multiple times with different tracks appearing under different albums.  In other words, I don't want tracks from "Greatest Irish Pub Songs" displayed individually on 15 different albums with the same name. I've seen other posts but nothing works. These tracks are all in the same folders on my hard drive, they all have the same pathway, they all have the same album name and they should appear together... But they don't!  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Library repeating the same album with various artists - Help!!
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 04:48:35 pm »

This is a very common problem.  I've probably answered this question 20 or more times on this forum.  So don't worry, a lot of people have the same issue, and they all get it resolved.  I had the same question myself when I first started.

The answer is to use the [Album Artist] field to set a value for each album that has this problem.  I use the value:
(Multiple Artists)

You can also use Various Artists, or something specific for each album like this.

See complete details in the wiki article, here:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Album_Artist_and_Album_Artist_(Auto)

Brian.

TedTimmis

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 05:34:53 pm »

Hi Brian,
Thank you for your reply.  I highlighted each of the albums and changed the artist tag from [Varies] to [multiple artists]. I succeeded in changing all the tags to Multiple Artists (wiping out the individual artist names) and still have 15 albums displayed with the same name.  Also, the link you supplied no longer is valid.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks, Ted ?

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 05:57:09 pm »

The link is valid, but the forum ate the last character.  If you highlight it and do copy/paste into the address bar of your web browser it should show up.

The field you want to change is ALBUM ARTIST, not ARTIST .  Try to do Edit > Undo to reverse your tag changes so you can have your Artist fields be correct again.

[Album Artist] is used specifically by MC to group tracks together as albums.  The [Artist] fields can all be different (as they should be on a compilation album).  But the [Album Artist] fields should all be set to the same value for each album.

Let me try again to make a proper link to the wiki article:

Album Artist Auto Wiki Article

Good luck!

Brian.

TedTimmis

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2017, 06:58:05 pm »

On the tag, I only see [Artist]. Where do I find [Album Artist]?

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2017, 07:12:05 pm »

I'm assuming you've opened the Tagging Pane on the left (Edit > Tag).  There's a gear menu at the upper left of that pane.  Click it and you can show more tags, all tags, specific tags, etc.

Initially when I was tagging with MC, I thought it was kind of strange.  I'm actually not sure why.  But the more I used it, the easier it seemed.  I only say this because MC's tagging is extremely powerful, quick, and easy.  If it seems a little strange at first, don't worry; you'll learn to use it well very quickly.

Good luck!

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up