INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What does "Unreliable data after 16 re-read attempts" mean?  (Read 1875 times)

Antognini

• Junior Woodchuck
What does "Unreliable data after 16 re-read attempts" mean?
« on: January 14, 2017, 03:26:59 pm »

I'm pretty new to JRiver (but already using it a lot). Sometimes in ripping an audio CD, I get something like:

Track 11: Non-secure rip, 1% of sectors needed re-reading and 1% of sectors could not be verified.  [Cantata Bwv 35 "Geist Und Seele Wird Verwirret" (2)]
      00:01:35  Unreliable data after 16 re-read attempts
      00:01:58  Unreliable data after 16 re-read attempts
      00:02:22  Unreliable data after 16 re-read attempts

What does that mean? Are the data for the specified track simply lost, or are some data, perhaps accurate and perhaps not, recorded in the saved file?

Setup:  JRiver Media Center 22.0.54 (still on 30 day trial); Windows 10 x64; CD player is an old (5 years) HP GH80N DVD read/write drive. I'm ripping in secure mode, to .flac output files.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: What does "Unreliable data after 16 re-read attempts" mean?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 04:09:13 pm »

It means that there was trouble reading certain spots and a few bytes in the file may be bad.  You may not be able to hear anything wrong though.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: What does "Unreliable data after 16 re-read attempts" mean?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 04:15:42 pm »

Unreliable data meant that MC read it 16 times and it was inconsistent throughout the 16 tries (ie. different data was read most of the tries), which is usually a sign of the disc being slightly damaged or dirty.

You will have some data in those spots, but accuracy is not guaranteed. Like Jim said, there are no guarantees you'll hear any differences though.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up