INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New JRiver user - JRiver is slow and doesn't auto-scan new files  (Read 3656 times)

extarys

Greetings!

I installed JRiver last week to give it a try for the first time. I'm under linux Mint 18.1.

I find it laggy/slow and it doesn't seem to scan my library automatically for newly added file even though I used to auto-import option.

Any words/tips from my fellow linux users? I'm looking for confidence that JRiver will continue their hard work on a fast and stable version for linux before buying something more than 80$ CAD.

thank you!

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: New JRiver user - JRiver is slow and doesn't auto-scan new files
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 12:22:16 am »

What version of JRiver are you running?  It's pretty snappy here with the latest MC version on Arch.  If you're still on an older build (22.0.36 or earlier), try a newer build there were some major changes under the hood (for the better).

As to not seeing new files, did you check to make sure you have the "run auto-import in the background" option checked.  Auto-import relies on linux's inotify system which doesn't work very well with certain networked filesystems (samba/cifs in particular), so if your media isn't on a local drive that may be part of the issue.

Do the files show up after a few hours, or do they never show up?

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 01:01:56 am »

I'd suggest heading to Help > Benchmark

Run that and post how powerful your hardware is. By doing this you let everyone know what you're dealing with.

Also, check the wiki (see the bottom of each Interact page) for info on importing files.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

extarys

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 04:21:47 am »

Thanks for getting back at me.
I'm using the latest version available on the forum, I added the repo to receive updates automatically too.

Yes I'm using CIFS to my Synology so that might be the issue. New files shows up after I restart the app, normally.
Maybe NFS works better, I'll try to figure how to use this.

What is laggy is moving the window and searching, mainly. Also,it seems that linux doesn't know that MC is a player, because hardware play/pause trigger Amarok and all other music app but not MC, and (I don't know how it's called but...) clicking on the speaker icon in the notification bar doesn't show play/pause/artwork/etc, it's probaply a work-in-progress and not an issue per-say.

I didn't know about the benchmark, it's amazing! So here it is.
Running on a Samsung PRO SSD (the cache too, because I have 22000 audio files and I want it fast and responsive), using a quite outdated but good I7 2600k (waiting for AMD Ryzen to come out) on 8GB of RAM.

Code: [Select]
=== Running Benchmarks (please do not interrupt) ===

Running 'Math' benchmark...
    Single-threaded integer math... 3.877 seconds
    Single-threaded floating point math... 2.537 seconds
    Multi-threaded integer math... 1.204 seconds
    Multi-threaded mixed math... 0.830 seconds
Score: 2249

Running 'Image' benchmark...
    Image creation / destruction... 0.375 seconds
    Flood filling... 0.487 seconds
    Direct copying... 0.779 seconds
    Small renders... 1.312 seconds
    Bilinear rendering... 1.016 seconds
    Bicubic rendering... 0.581 seconds
Score: 4835

Running 'Database' benchmark...
    Create database... 0.393 seconds
    Populate database... 1.206 seconds
    Save database... 0.172 seconds
    Reload database... 0.063 seconds
    Search database... 1.165 seconds
    Sort database... 1.011 seconds
    Group database... 0.669 seconds
Score: 4596

JRMark (version 22.0.63): 3893

Do MC is in special from time to time hahaha because as I said I'm in the demo version and Amarok is quite outdated (I still love that baby though) - Exchange rate from USD to CAD is high :(
Anyway, thanks for your inputs,  maybe I'll switch back to Arch if it's faster (the updates are frustrating everything breaks rom time to time)

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 06:46:39 am »

With a JRMark of 3893, you shouldn't have speed performance issues.

Something's not right.

Debian is the officially supported distro but before considering a change, I'd ask for thoughts from AwesomeDonkey. AD has posted install instructions for Mint and might be able to offer practical guidance.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 01:27:37 pm »

Linux CIFS doesn't support iNotify. Not sure NFS supports it. This prevents realtime import from working on CIFS.
MC should drop back to scanning every 2 hours or so for changes.
If you don't want to wait you can always restart it as you did.
Pages: [1]   Go Up