INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running Spotify on headless RPi  (Read 4416 times)

amdismal

• Junior Woodchuck
Running Spotify on headless RPi
« on: January 23, 2017, 03:35:16 am »

I'm planning on using a RPi 3, and would prefer headless if possible, although do have monitor etc if required.

What world be the best way to run Spotify? On my basement setup I use the live:loopback in Windows, which works well. I note that newer MC versions for Windows have a virtual sound driver, which sounds even more elegant. However, (1) do these work under Linux? and (2) can they be easily selected using a tablet running Gizmo?

Or is there a better way in which I can access Spotify? I do have running a squeezebox server with the Spotify plugin, which while not perfect does do all that I need (I can create playlists on the Spotify app and then access them using the plugin). Something similar would be great.

amdismal

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Running Spotify on headless RPi
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 05:01:23 am »

Oh one extra piece of information - I'll be using the processing of MC, so Spotify needs to be routed through MC.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 08:04:29 am »

MC for Linux (which is what runs on the pi) doesn't have any input options, so you won't be able to route anything through MC in that context.

I don't use spotify so I don't know whether they have a good (or any) Linux client, but if you need MC's DSP you'll need an alternate solution in any case unfortunately. 

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 02:43:57 pm »

There's a Spotify terminal call Sconsify. You may wish to try that, but as mwillems has said, there's no way to feed that through MC.

amdismal

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 02:36:49 am »

Oh dear this is a problem. I may need to use a windows machine then.

Is there any timeframe for adding inputs to MC Linux?

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 05:28:32 am »

I wouldn't hold your breath, but there may be a VERY round about way to do it...

A shoutcast server streaming through MC.  Don't know how the Pi would go with the encoding though...

amdismal

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 01:26:57 pm »

It's a nice idea, but I suspect that the pi will struggle to encode plus run the DSP.

As things stand I can repurpose an old laptop, put on Windows 7, MC and either play Spotify through the loopback or play files from the server. It'll work, but it's not the low power elegant solution I was looking for. Oh well.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 02:43:42 pm »

Have you thought about the Id?

amdismal

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 07:59:46 am »

If I used the Id Pi, then I'd have the same issue about not having inputs. I could get a NUC-based one, I guess, but I have plenty of old laptops dotted about that are as powerful, albeit slightly more power-hungry. I imagine that the carbon footprint of buying new is greater than using old; certainly the cost will be!
Pages: [1]   Go Up