INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Import Music & Playlist from iTunes on a Mac to My Windows 7 Running JRiver?  (Read 3620 times)

sortiarius

• Recent member

I'm new to JRiver; sorry if this is elementary:

How can I import a playlist (metadata & songs) that resides on a friend's Mac machine (running only iTunes) into my distinct machine running Windows 7 with JRiver 22 recently installed?

Thank you.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Doctor Who could do it if your friend had MC running.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=97994.0

sortiarius

• Recent member

Thanks for the very quick reply. I'll study the Dr. Who link and see how far I can get on my own before troubling you with more questions.
Meanwhile: wondering if the fact the I also have iTunes on my machine (used only for iPhone backup) would facilitate the playlist transfer between machines/platforms ... ?
Thanks again.

blgentry

Doctor Who can't import song files.  Only playlist metadata.  Unless I've misunderstood.  Doctor Who would be like a P2P sharing network if it could import song files.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?

If you had the audio tracks in your library, Doctor Who would find them.

sortiarius

• Recent member

Thank you Brian and Jim.

Here's where I've arrived at this point:

sortiarius

• Recent member

Thank you Brian and Jim.

Here's where I've arrived at this point:
- I've ripped CDs of my friend's music (burned for me by him) and have them on my machine.
- I ripped in AIFF format and have created an MC Playlist of all 108 tracks.
- They all "play" but are unidentified other then as "Track 01" ...
- I had my friend "export playlist" from his iTunes (on his Mac) into both XML and M3U files and email them to me; they're on my desktop now.

Just with these steps having been taken, is there a way to unify those 108 songs with their metadata?

Appreciating your time and patience.

blgentry

OK, so you have a bunch of AIFF files with no metadata in them.  The ITunes playlist from your friend probably has all of the metadata in it.  But getting it to match up with the filenames you have on disk might be challenging.  Especially because it came from a Mac and you are on Windows.  So the file separator characters are different ( / versus \ ).

If you are lucky, the file and directory names contain the information you want.  MC has a tool called "Fill Properties from Filename".  You can try that and see if MC can figure out the Artist, Album, etc from the file names.  Just right click on a track and then: Library Tools > Fill Properties from filename .

If that works, you can select multiple tracks and try it with them too.  Start small and work your way up.

Good luck.

Brian.

sortiarius

• Recent member

Continuing thanks, Brian and Jim.

Over these days, I've tried the "Fill Properties ... " function, and continued to study and experiment on my own ... with the XMLs, the M3Us, the CDs - all without success.

I'm beginning to see that what I'm trying to do (transfer of music & data) is complicated by the Mac/Windows dysfunctions - significant in themselves; but that it's further complicated by my lack of understanding - my "techlessness". So - another apology for that.

I'm trying to get to the basics of understanding, and am now wondering a couple of things:
- Is this kind of transfer a task that most people wouldn't care about - or want to achieve?
- Is there another way of "seeing" my task that would open this for me? Something I'm missing?

Given that my friend does not run MC on his Mac - I'm wondering if we can 'clear the decks' and revert to the question:
How can I get a playlist (metadata & songs) that resides on a friend's Mac (running only iTunes) into my distinct machine running Windows 7 with JRiver 22?

Perhaps some simple protocol that I could tell my friend (even more "techless" than me) ... something like:
  - Friend: do this: A, B, C ...
  - Me: do this: A, B, C ...

Thank you ~
S

Pages: [1]   Go Up