INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MP3 Tagging Question  (Read 2073 times)

jleerigby

MP3 Tagging Question
« on: July 20, 2003, 12:09:16 pm »

I set MC to always update the files with tag info and I backup the files to a second hard drive.  Because of this I don't back up my library as I know I can just reimport all the files and all will be well (i.e. the new library will be a perfect reflection of all the files).   This will only work Ok if everything I tag in MC9 actually gets stored in the files.  

Can anyone tell me if this is true, particularly the Rating tag as I can see no evidence of this when I interrogate the file in Windows Explorer or another media player.  I spend hours and hours rating MP3s and would hate to lose this info.

Marko

Re: MP3 Tagging Question
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2003, 01:57:25 pm »

I'm not too sure *everything* can be stored in the file itself.
Have a look at Mp3 TagStudio, It's an excellent mp3 tag tool that enables you to see the extra 1d3v2 COMM fields that MC uses to store the data.

I have a backup tool set, amongst other things, to back up my \media center\data directory daily. To me, this is the simplest method of ensuring that should anything go wrong, (lost playlists anybody?) there will always be a current copy of the library to fall back on. It's one of those "set and forget" things that works really well for me.

-marko

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2003, 02:29:46 pm »

Well, I doubt if Windows Explorer reads all possible ID3 fields.

In MC you can see what is being saved in the tags by checking the file properties and switching to the format view. It shows what fields are saved in both ID3v1 and v2 tags and it appears that MC rating are saved to v2 tags.

Rob

nila

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2003, 12:52:38 am »

JLee - tool/options/tree and view settings

Go into each field - u can set whether or not it's saved in the files or just in the library.

jleerigby

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2003, 08:46:35 am »

In MC you can see what is being saved in the tags by checking the file properties and switching to the format view. It shows what fields are saved in both ID3v1 and v2 tags and it appears that MC rating are saved to v2 tags.

Rob
Thanks for the advice guys.  

Didn't know about that screen Rob.  Sorted - thanks.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2003, 08:59:45 am »

Just keep in mind that your library is the only place where your playlists are being stored. No amount of file tagging is going to change that.

Same goes for View Schemes *I think*.

f1bred

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2003, 01:32:41 pm »

Where is cover art stored?

BTW, I have a lot of cover art that was retreived from the internet via WMP9. Does MC9 use those same files? How do I tell it to use those if not-- or can I?

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2003, 02:27:49 pm »

look under MC9 settings, there is a place for your default cover art folder.

cover art can be in or external to a media file, and also depends on the media file type some do not store art inside the file.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

jleerigby

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2003, 02:47:04 pm »

If you are using MC9.0 open Properties and click the arrows to display the image tab.  There is a check box at the bottom to say if MC should store inside files.  On MC9.1.218 Right click library> Image> Store Cover Art Inside Folder If Possible.

If you want to check where cover art is stored for each file the tag (Image file) is under the extended menu in properties or can be added as a column.
Pages: [1]   Go Up