INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Stereo Subwoofers  (Read 7360 times)

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
Stereo Subwoofers
« on: January 24, 2017, 09:25:17 am »

I am running a 2-channel system with stereo subwoofers from a Lynx Hilo DAC.   I run the main speakers full range and bypass the subs' crossover and instead use an outboard dbx DriveRack PA-2 to run the subs.   I would think, given the routing capabilities and number of channels available on the Hilo, that I should be able to use the JRiver crossovers for the subs but I can't figure out how to do it.   Hilo has 8 usb i/o's and two physical analog outs as well as digital outs so how do I tell JRiver to send full range signals to usb outs 1/2 and apply sub crossovers for usb outs 3/4 which I can then route on Hilo to monitor and line outs respectively?   I am using the Lynx Hilo ASIO driver in JRiver but I see no options for the 8 usb i/os.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Stereo Subwoofers
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 10:10:23 am »

you'd use 2 channel in a 5.1 container as the output format to give you the channels to play with then copy input channels 1 and 2 to channels 3 & 4 (assuming these are the channels that correspond to the monitor out) and then apply an appropriate low pass filter to channels 3 and 4.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 03:44:45 pm »

Ok, I will try that in a few hours.   Do you have to also make any changes in the Hilo Windows driver where you tell Windows your speaker config (stereo, quad or surround)?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 03:52:11 pm »

I don't have one but it looks like you can do this via the front panel - http://www.lynxstudio.com/nav/getFile.asp?i=96&t=productfile

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 04:09:28 pm »

No, not there.   I am talking about the driver settings in Windows under control panel>sound>Hilo speaker output device>Pop up for stereo, quadrophonic, 5.1 etc

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 04:29:04 pm »

I recommend you use the ASIO driver not the WDM driver, section 2.5.2.2 of http://www.lynxstudio.com/nav/getFile.asp?i=92&t=productfile seems appropriate here (then review the section on output routing)

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 06:54:42 pm »

you'd use 2 channel in a 5.1 container as the output format to give you the channels to play with then copy input channels 1 and 2 to channels 3 & 4 (assuming these are the channels that correspond to the monitor out) and then apply an appropriate low pass filter to channels 3 and 4.
How do you copy the channels?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 07:27:14 pm »

How do you copy the channels?

In DSP Studio there's a filter called "mix channels" it has five or so suboptions one of which is "copy"

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 07:31:24 pm »

In DSP Studio there's a filter called "mix channels" it has five or so suboptions one of which is "copy"
I see it.  It is in parametric EQ module and you have to add the mix channels module.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 07:46:00 pm »

How do I know what channels are available?  I have selected 2 ch in 5.1 container.   Choices in the mix channels PEQ are L, R, C, Sub, SR, SL, RL (7.1), RR(7.1), U1, U2

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 07:53:14 pm »

How do I know what channels are available?  I have selected 2 ch in 5.1 container.   Choices in the mix channels PEQ are L, R, C, Sub, SR, SL, RL (7.1), RR(7.1), U1, U2

Because you chose a 5.1 container, the 5.1 channel set are available (L,R,C,Sub,SL,SR).

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 08:05:38 pm »

Ok. Got that.  So I load up two instances of the mix channel EQ and one shows copy Left to SL and the other copies Right to SR?    How do I know which USB play inputs on the Hilo are mapped to SL and SR?   Trial and error I presume. 

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 08:29:28 pm »

If under the 5.1 container there are 6 channels available why does one have to "copy" one channel to another?  Is it because L & R are presumed full range and the others are not?

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 08:41:08 pm »

Willems (and Matt) forgot to say thank you for the help.   

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 08:58:52 pm »

Ok. Got that.  So I load up two instances of the mix channel EQ and one shows copy Left to SL and the other copies Right to SR?    How do I know which USB play inputs on the Hilo are mapped to SL and SR?   Trial and error I presume.

Yes

If under the 5.1 container there are 6 channels available why does one have to "copy" one channel to another?  Is it because L & R are presumed full range and the others are not?

2 channel in a 5.1 container is a special output format.  It means that JRiver uses a 2 channel mixing target (stereo) and then gives you four blank channels to work with (the container).  This means stereo music passes through untouched, and 5.1 material gets downmixed to stereo first.  If you want to preserve conventional sub information separately in the mix, choose 2.1 which (this is undocumented, but I promise it's so) also gives you three additional blank channels because there are no devices that accept just a three channel input, so 2.1 is effectively 2.1 in a 5.1 container.

If you selected plain 5.1 (rather than 2 channel in a 5.1 container), then JRiver will use that as the mixing target and stereo material will get upmixed etc. 

If you're asking why JRiver doesn't just automatically copy the L and R info to the other channels, I think it's because if you're choosing a container format you're doing your own mixing and might want blank channels for mixing or routing purposes.  I know I've made good use of spare blank channels to move things around and recombine them.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 09:07:55 pm »

Thanks.  Forgive my ignorance but I don't do multichannel so I am not conversant with it.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 12:55:10 am »

How do I know which USB play inputs on the Hilo are mapped to SL and SR?   Trial and error I presume.
You configure this on the hilo, see the manual section I posted earlier.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 01:44:30 am »

You configure this on the hilo, see the manual section I posted earlier.
I just changed the PEQ copy setting to center and sub from SR and SL and now I am getting signal in Hilo usb 3/4.   The low pass filter is set at 40Hz for SR & SL but when I set that to center and sub usb 3/4 have no signal.   I would have thought that it should have been center and sub as well.   Why?

The audio path  change area reads: 

convert from 2 channels to 6 channels
move the center speaker to the front mains
copy left to center
copy right to sub
low pass at 40z (SL, SR)

Is this correct for the 2 channel to 5.1 container?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 02:57:27 am »

I don't know where you've got "move the center speaker to the front mains" from, I would not expect that to be there.

I think you just need;

in Output Format
- channels: 2 channel in a 4 channel container
- mixing: "No upmixing or downmixing"

check the box next to "Parametric Equaliser 1" block
- add mix channels; source = Left, destination = SL, Mode = Copy, Gain = 0
- add mix channels; source = Right, destination = SR, Mode = Copy, Gain = 0
- add low pass filter; frequency 40, slope = whatever you like, channels = surround left, surround right

You will now have output on asio channels 1-4 and can map those to the analogue outputs using the controls on the hilo.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 08:38:06 am »

I don't know where you've got "move the center speaker to the front mains" from, I would not expect that to be there.

I think you just need;

in Output Format
- channels: 2 channel in a 4 channel container
- mixing: "No upmixing or downmixing"

check the box next to "Parametric Equaliser 1" block
- add mix channels; source = Left, destination = SL, Mode = Copy, Gain = 0
- add mix channels; source = Right, destination = SR, Mode = Copy, Gain = 0
- add low pass filter; frequency 40, slope = whatever you like, channels = surround left, surround right

You will now have output on asio channels 1-4 and can map those to the analogue outputs using the controls on the hilo.
Nope. Hilo only shows input on usb play 1/2 with those settings.   In Hilo's mixer when I route usb 3/4 only to sub  output the signal from usb 1/2 is played.   

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2017, 09:03:23 am »

Nope. Hilo only shows input on usb play 1/2 with those settings.   In Hilo's mixer when I route usb 3/4 only to sub  output the signal from usb 1/2 is played.   
What I have described will put out the 4 channels you want as channels 1-4 on the output. The configuration of the hilo is in your hands, ie you have to route those 4 channels to the right physical output.

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 09:11:43 am »

What I have described will put out the 4 channels you want as channels 1-4 on the output. The configuration of the hilo is in your hands, ie you have to route those 4 channels to the right physical output.
Yes, I know.  I am so far not successful in getting Hilo to route it correctly.  I am using a recent firmware update to Hilo which changed the interface a lot so maybe that is the problem.     

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2017, 10:05:15 am »

Yes, I know.  I am so far not successful in getting Hilo to route it correctly.  I am using a recent firmware update to Hilo which changed the interface a lot so maybe that is the problem.   
they don't seem to have updated their manual to reflect this, perhaps a post on their forum (http://www.lynxstudio.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6263&PN=3&title=hilo-firmware-version-8-beta-available-for-testing) might help?

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2017, 10:11:21 am »

They are working on the manual update.   I think I might backlevel to the previous firmware.   

mstan

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2017, 05:07:28 pm »

I got it working.   Apparently there was signal going to Hilo usb play 3/4 all along.  It was just that the signal at 40hz low pass, 0 gain was too weak to show up on the Hilo meters.   So I added about 10dB gain to the sub channels and signal showed on the Hilo meters.  And  I could hear it.    I guess now its a matter of gain optimization with the sub amps.   

I also need to get that audio from the external video into JRiver or else I can't let JRiver manage the subs or I do without the subs for that source.
Pages: [1]   Go Up