INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't make Alexa connect  (Read 5032 times)

Bullie

Can't make Alexa connect
« on: January 24, 2017, 04:13:56 pm »

Hi - I'm new here and only found out about MC because I have a new Dot and want to use it to stream my own files, and not have to sit at the computer and click around until I find what I want.  And, I like to mess around with new things.

I used to use Plex so I'm a little familiar with the library/server thing.  I have looked through these forums and found tips to make it work but no success yet.

I can't get past the Alexa "card" to link with MC - I get the "linking failed" text after entering the 6-digit key:

I have a Linksys WRT3200ACM and can't use the "real" ip address in port forwarding but entered everything else,
Gave this Windows a static ip even though it never changes anyway - have not restarted since that,
I've made sure "authentication" is unchecked,
Opened port 52199 via netsh - I don't like using the Windows firewall app,
Checked to make sure 52199 is there (listening).

What am I forgetting?  There is some information here that led me to take these steps, but I'm missing something.  I can play files with Gizmo. 

Thanks!  Julie

mdx1

• World Citizen
Re: New MC user can't make Alexa connect
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 01:19:21 am »

Are you using the "House Band" Alexa skill?   In order for the account linking to work, port 1299 needs to be forwarded to the IP address of the computer running MC.
Nelson

Bullie

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 10:19:11 am »

Hi - yes, I've enabled House Band.  I can start that skill, Alexa sends a "card" to the Alexa app where I enter the 6 digit key (checked for case and character) but a fail is returned.

I don't know if it is a port issue or not.  Is it that I can't use my outside IP in port forwarding on my router configuration because I've seen on Media Center threads that both are used - the wiki suggests that the outside ip must be used and a YABB thread says otherwise.

If anyone is thinking about my issue here, assume that I entered everything correctly, like no misspellings, transposed numbers and the like.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 10:52:47 am »

Are you located in the U.S.?

Bullie

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 11:46:11 am »

Are you located in the U.S.?

Yes I am.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 11:53:47 am »

sarkonovich

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Can't make Alexa connect
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 09:27:54 am »

@Bulllie

Are you still having troubles connecting?

Please post on the thread the JimH pointed you to. Or feel free to email me at sarkonovich at gmail dot com

Steve
JRiver 21 Linux (ARM) on Pine 64 => PS Audio DirectWave DAC => ATC 50asl speakers. JRiver controlled by House Band on Amazon Echo
Pages: [1]   Go Up