INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Influence of powernetwork on soundquality  (Read 2115 times)

Manfred

• Citizen of the Universe
Influence of powernetwork on soundquality
« on: January 29, 2017, 06:38:46 am »

Not 100% sure but some times on some day's the soundquality is not the same as on other day's in the week. I live in a 8 family house and typically on some day's everybody is at home. I have a HTPC running JRiver with a Seasonic fanless PSU.

Could it be that in the power electrical network are larger variances influencing the soundquality of the HTPC and how to measure it and avoid it?
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Influence of powernetwork on soundquality
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 07:06:10 pm »

Is it MC or is there some correlation between the number of people in the house and what you're hearing. More people - more background noise.

What are the specs on the PSU? If it pushes out low ripple voltage, then it would not feature as a likely culprit.

What other stray current sources could be an issue?

At home, my main unit gets its power via a UPS, then a power conditioner with AVR to deliver A.C. power @ +/-1% and then an HD PLEX 100W fanless PSU (I think the spec is +/-1mV or something cool sounding). But this is really for reliability and to deal with the effects of solar PV on the grid boosting voltage beyond the nominal spec - from what I know, this gives electronics an easier life and is better for their longevity. I went for the HiFi spec PSU because I just wanted to when the previous unit died. Personally I can't hear a difference between that unit and the Id I've got in my man cave where it gets UPS power only - so no AVR and power via the OEM wall wart.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up