INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ownCloud  (Read 4267 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
ownCloud
« on: January 28, 2017, 10:07:26 pm »

? on OwnCloud (which I also have), how are you using it with MC as I don't get it :(
JRiver CEO Elect

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: ownCloud
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2017, 11:55:39 pm »

? on OwnCloud (which I also have), how are you using it with MC as I don't get it :(

There's an "external sites" function in next/owncloud; I'm using nextcloud now, but I used to use owncloud (before the fork), and I'm pretty sure it had the same option.  You point that app to an external site of your choice, and then the site shows up as an "app" in the drawer in the upper lefthand corner of the cloud's web interface.  When a user picks the app, it opens the site you directed it to in a frame with the nextcloud/owncloud navigation in bar across the top.

You can point it to webgizmo, and webgizmo will then show up as an app in Nextcloud, and it works great.  There are some technical hurdles though, as if your Next/Owncloud instance is secured via https they won't let you embed plain http sites as apps for security reasons.  So you need to wrap webgizmo in https to get it working, but once you do it works a treat.  If there's any interest I can do a post about config, but I didn't bother as I didn't figure they're weren't many Next/Ownclouders here.

It's nice though as it makes the whole streaming aspect of webgizmo much easier to integrate for the family, and I can piggyback onto Nextcloud's robust user management, authentication, and security model for my other home services that don't have those kinds of options.  My nextcloud is internet facing, so I and the family can now get to webgizmo when away from home safely, I also have a calibre content server running the same way.  This kind of integration is one major advantage of webgizmo's fairly straightforward web design; some alternative web music front-ends break completely in an x-frame because they've got so much web-tech crammed into them.  So I've been tinkering around in spare minutes trying to setup a reverse proxy for webgizmo, and with some help I'm finally there, and webgizmo just does it's business in the frame happily  ;D

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 12:28:02 am »

Thanks (and sorry for the highjack) - I'm just using OwnClould on a my WebHoster to provide "drop box" style stuff to the net as my drop box keep getting it's links banned. 
JRiver CEO Elect

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 07:15:08 am »

I'll move this to another board soon.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 12:10:02 pm »

Thanks (and sorry for the highjack) - I'm just using OwnClould on a my WebHoster to provide "drop box" style stuff to the net as my drop box keep getting it's links banned.

We use it as a google apps replacement (calendar, contacts, voice chat, etc.).  The only place where it's not quit mature enough is for mail. 

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 01:31:30 pm »

I've had a play with it's CalDev support but only that. 

The thing I don't like about OwnCloud is they have decided to not support Direct Links to Images (for auto forum display).  Also any reason you went NextCloud?
JRiver CEO Elect

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 02:20:44 pm »

I've had a play with it's CalDev support but only that. 

The thing I don't like about OwnCloud is they have decided to not support Direct Links to Images (for auto forum display).  Also any reason you went NextCloud?

Most of the devs left for nextcloud (and the American owncloud company dissolved), and there have been some serious improvements since the split in stability and security.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 03:31:03 pm »

Mmmm - I see in the NextCloud 12 GitHub they plan to support direct links to images...
JRiver CEO Elect

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 01:58:43 pm »

I got next cloud up and going.  Thanks for the tip on the branch
JRiver CEO Elect

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 05:24:20 pm »

I got next cloud up and going.  Thanks for the tip on the branch

Let me know if you want some config tips on integrating webgizmo ;-)

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2017, 08:53:06 pm »

Let me know if you want some config tips on integrating webgizmo ;-)

I've been using OwnCloud as a docker on my unRAID server, but don't really use it much now.  But... serving webgizmo might be a good reason to look again.  I hadn't seen much of a reason to switch to NextCloud at the time I chose Own, but I've heard it's gotten much better, so I'll look to convert soon.

If you wouldn't mind writing up a quick guide, I'd appreciate it.  I suspect others might find it valuable too.

Thanks
pretend this is something funny

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2017, 08:59:58 pm »

I've been using OwnCloud as a docker on my unRAID server, but don't really use it much now.  But... serving webgizmo might be a good reason to look again.  I hadn't seen much of a reason to switch to NextCloud at the time I chose Own, but I've heard it's gotten much better, so I'll look to convert soon.

If you wouldn't mind writing up a quick guide, I'd appreciate it.  I suspect others might find it valuable too.

Thanks

Sure I'll try and gin something detailed soon (maybe over the weekend).  The rough outline is as follows:

1) JRiver server running somewhere
2) Setup an apache reverse proxy to wrap webgizmo in https (using either real certificates or self-signed "snake-oil" certificates)
3) Point the nextcloud "external sites" app to the reverse proxy

Voila!

The hard part is getting the config right in two, but I have a working config I can post as an example.  If your own/nextcloud is running without certificates (http instead of https) you can skip step two entirely, but I wouldn't advise that if the own/nextcloud is web facing (fine for an internal network).

I'll write more soon.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 07:54:23 am »

Ok I put some config instructions over in the third party apps section, let me know if the instructions could be improved.
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,109605.0.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up