INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bye Bye Netscape - end of an era...  (Read 3663 times)

gkerber

Bye Bye Netscape - end of an era...
« on: July 18, 2003, 06:28:50 pm »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3074031.stm

They say Mozilla will continue, but I'll bet that effort fizzles out one day soon too.

I really really like Netscape/Mozilla much better than IE and Outlook.

phelt

Re: Bye Bye Netscape - end of an era...
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2003, 10:05:19 pm »

Goodbye to Netscape, perhaps, but not necessarily Mozilla. I wonder if the absence of AOL in the process might not lead to better things instead of worse.

sangs

• Recent member
  • Just happy to be here...
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2003, 03:29:44 am »

Just use Opera, it's better - and generally faster - than all of them!

rocketsauce

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2003, 10:50:32 am »

Just use Opera, it's better...

That's debatable.

I certainly wouldn't pay $40 for the ad free version, when there are free browsers with no ads already.

Rob

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2003, 11:01:33 am »

speaking of browsers

I found a e-mail program i thought was neat

http://www.incredimail.com
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

nameless

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2003, 12:58:54 pm »

I certainly wouldn't pay $40 for the ad free version, when there are free browsers with no ads already.

I agree.  I like the "idea" of Opera, and it has a lot going for it on paper.

But every time I try it, I find site after site that doesn't work right, or doesn't work at all.  When some of those sites are the ones I use for online banking and such, I tend to take a dim view of Opera in general.

I know the reason Opera doesn't work with those sites is that the sites have been tailored for MSIE, but what am I, as a customer and surfer, to do?  Struggle with Opera, and "hope" my insignificant little statement gets heard above the din of MSIE?  Juggle multiple browsers?  I refuse to do either.

So, I use MyIE2.

zevele10

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2003, 01:20:38 pm »

King

As you i found incredimail neat and funny.
But i was say and found critics online saying that it is a very very bad program.

Do you use it?

Shelly

• I love listening to music with Media Center!
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2003, 01:28:11 pm »

I primarily use Opera, but agree that it has trouble accessing many sites and still suffers from stability problems.  When it refuses to cooperate I switch to Mozilla.  I'd rather alternate between the 2 browsers than be forced to use IE.  There is one function in IE that I have to admit I miss in both Mozilla and Opera.  IE has an auto complete function, where it remembers previously typed field values.  But I'm willing to sacrifice having that function for all the other features offered by Opera and Mozilla.  

Shelly

rocketsauce

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2003, 03:16:28 pm »

There is one function in IE that I have to admit I miss in both Mozilla and Opera.  IE has an auto complete function, where it remembers previously typed field values.

Don't know about Opera, but Mozilla has this feature. It's called Form Manager. It doesn't work exactly the same as IE, but pretty close.

Rob

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2003, 03:19:14 pm »

King

As you i found incredimail neat and funny.
But i was say and found critics online saying that it is a very very bad program.

Do you use it?

no but i see it has alot of options to enhance your e-mails if you wish to do so.

I prefer Outlook Express, for one it is free (sort of)
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Shelly

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2003, 04:26:27 pm »

Don't know about Opera, but Mozilla has this feature. It's called Form Manager. It doesn't work exactly the same as IE, but pretty close.

Rob,

It's not really the same functionality.  Both Opera and Mozilla will remember user names and passwords for visited sites.  Mozilla has a reasonable number of predefined fields for user demographic information; Opera provides only 14 of these fields.  But what they both lack is the ability to remember nonuser name and nonpassword fields.  For example, IE will remember all of the values entered in the AMG search field.  Once I've entered "Ella Fitzgerald," the next time I only have to type "El" and the field expands to her name.  It's a great time saver.  

Shelly

rocketsauce

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2003, 05:40:31 pm »

But what they both lack is the ability to remember nonuser name and nonpassword fields.  For example, IE will remember all of the values entered in the AMG search field.  Once I've entered "Ella Fitzgerald," the next time I only have to type "El" and the field expands to her name.

Yes, I used IE for years. My install of Mozilla does that to an extent. On some sites it seems to remember the values and on others it doesn't. And sometimes, for sites where it was remembering, it seems to forget every once in awhile. Not really sure why, but it hasn't really been an issue for me.

Rob

EDIT:

Actually, I might be thinking that it's Mozilla Firebird browser that does this rather than regular Mozilla. I was using Firebird, but finally got fed up with the "forms autocomplete" bug and have been using regular Mozilla for the last couple of days.

Shelly

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2003, 06:29:05 pm »

I was using Firebird, but finally got fed up with the "forms autocomplete" bug and have been using regular Mozilla for the last couple of days.

I haven't tried Firebird; 2 browsers in development are enough to push my frustration tolerance at the moment.  Hopefully, the increased resources for Mozilla will help move things along.  

Shelly

gkerber

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2003, 06:37:45 pm »

I've tried Firebird, seems okay, but it doesn't see to allow bookmarking a set of tabs like Netscape/Mozilla does.  Weird that it doesn't...

rocketsauce

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2003, 07:03:19 pm »

Tab Sets are on the Go menu. Keyboard shortcut is CTRL+SHIFT+T.

Rob

NoCodeUK

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2003, 01:38:19 am »

I would guess that Firbird will be the push now by the Mozilla Foundation especially seing as the next milestone 1.5 is moving over to the Firebird codebase.

Adam
"It's called No Code because it's full of code. It's misinformation." - Eddie Vedder

rocketsauce

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2003, 02:31:10 am »

I think they've pushed that back a little. I recall reading a post a Mozillazine that said 1.5a was still going to be the full Mozilla Suite.

Rob

sangs

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2003, 03:51:33 am »

I switched to Opera because I was so fed up with the updates and security issues related to IE6. Yes, I miss several features from IE6, but Opera's speed and customizing options have won me over.

As for it not working with many websites, I have to say I'm not running into this problem nearly as much as I feared. I am able to use it for my on-line banking and such. Occasionaly I'll run into a bad site, but 98 percent of the time it works swimmingly. In my quick preferences on Opera I have it set to "Identify as MSIE 6.0" and although I'm not sure exactly what that does, I think it might have something to do with it's stability on many sites. I'm using the most recent Beta (7.20).

LonWar

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2003, 05:59:00 am »

I agree.  I like the "idea" of Opera, and it has a lot going for it on paper.

But every time I try it, I find site after site that doesn't work right, or doesn't work at all.  When some of those sites are the ones I use for online banking and such, I tend to take a dim view of Opera in general.

I know the reason Opera doesn't work with those sites is that the sites have been tailored for MSIE, but what am I, as a customer and surfer, to do?  Struggle with Opera, and "hope" my insignificant little statement gets heard above the din of MSIE?  Juggle multiple browsers?  I refuse to do either.

So, I use MyIE2.

I have just downloaded MyIE2 and it's really good.
Alot faster then IE

Thanks for the link!!
-

Shelly

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2003, 07:39:21 am »

I think it might have something to do with it's stability on many sites. I'm using the most recent Beta (7.20).

Would appreciate the link for the beta release.  Thanks.

Shelly

sangs

• Recent member
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2003, 01:45:15 pm »

Would appreciate the link for the beta release.  Thanks.

Shelly

Ask and you shall receive. The larger file contains java.

http://snapshot.opera.com/windows/

Shelly

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2003, 02:11:08 pm »

Ask and you shall receive.

Thanks a million, Sangs.  Opera doesn't make their betas readily available like Mozilla does.  

Shelly

sangs

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2003, 04:52:57 pm »

Thanks a million, Sangs.  Opera doesn't make their betas readily available like Mozilla does.  

Shelly

Any time.
:D
Pages: [1]   Go Up