INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sending internet streams to UPnP device?  (Read 3266 times)

MuseChaser

• Recent member
Sending internet streams to UPnP device?
« on: January 31, 2017, 12:25:10 pm »

Before I get to clearly stating my question, I'd like to thank the creators of MC VERY much for such a great product.  I purchased it a year or so ago when I first became interested in exploring higher resolution audio and wanted something that would play back a lot of different formats easily.  The program was great; played all kinds of FLAC and DSD files on my laptop through various USB DACs.  I had NO idea what I was getting into... ;) 

Since then, I've added a Pi3/Runeaudio/HifiberryDac+ headless box to one audio system, an ancient Asus netbook running Daphile(Linux kernel tailored for audio and headless operation) into a USB DacMagic in another system, and built a Pi3/OMV NAS for housing all my files.  The NAS server also feeds two ROKU boxes.  This is all JRiver's fault. :)

Since the Pi and Daphile take care of the playback duties now, JRiver has become relegated to ripping, tagging, and library management.  Wooof.  This is one DEEP program.  I've ripped/re-ripped most of my CD collection to FLACs now (over 1000) using MC and also used it to tag, add or find cover art, and maintain two different libraries (one local on the laptop and one on the NAS).  While waiting for CDs to rip, I've had a lot of time to explore some of the other functions of MC.. playback to the RunePi via UPnP in one zone while playing something else locally on the laptop... streaming internet radio stations locally on the laptop or, as I just discovered, bouncing the stream to the RunePi  just like any other audio.  Amazing stuff to me, but probably basic stuff to most of you.  In any case, I'm amazed by the product.  Thank you VERY much for probably the best bang-for-the-buck software (next to Linux... ;) ) available for anything.

OK.. the question..

I'm on a Win7 laptop, open Amazon music in Firefox and play one of my available albums through my crappy laptop internal speakers.  Hmmmm... if I can bounce internet radio via MC to the Rune via UPnP, then... ?!?!  Right?  So.. I make "JRiver Media Center" the default playback device in Windows, then play another album on Amazon.  I see level indication in the little bar graph next to JRiver in the Win7 control panel.. nice!  JRiver starts to play the stream through my computer speakers.. almost there!!  Right-click the progress-display/playing-now window or whatever it's called, choose "send to", select RuneUPnP as I did with other stuff... and... nada.  Can't get it work.

I know there's been other requests and discussions on the forum re/ incorporating AmazonMusic accessibility into JRiver, but I figured that was more about being able to access the service directly.  I thought there might be a way to just send all sounds from my laptop, via MC, to a UPnP device, thereby at least being able to listen to my Amazon albums w/out having physically connect my laptop to my stereo (or putting up lousy laptop "speakers"). 

Is there any way to playback AmazonMusic streaming albums to a UPnP device using MC?  I guess that's the question. Sorry for all the background crap.  Just wanted to express my gratitude, amazement, and make sure I had described the situation clearly.

Thanks..

Barry

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sending internet streams to UPnP device?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 03:52:15 pm »

MC is not able to push streams to UPnP devices. (Reason is on a stream the ContentLength is not a determinate value...)

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

MuseChaser

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 05:34:34 pm »

MC is not able to push streams to UPnP devices.....

Thanks for the reply, Andrew, and sorry for my long-winded orignal post.  I CAN put an internet radio stream to UPnP w/ MC, but maybe I'm not using the term "stream" correctly.

Here's what I did successfully and repeatedly.. just now..

1. Audio/Connected Media/PublicRadioFan, then choose a station.  I chose the first one, KVCR.
2. When it starts to play after a few seconds, right-click in the window that says "HTTP Stream" near the top of the screen, then choose "Send To."
3.  In that menu, my UPnP device shows up (named RunePiBerry on my network, but who cares).  Select it, and a second later the stream is bounced beautifully to my stereo.

If I can do that, why can't I do it when I'm playing AmazonMusic through MC?  What am I missing?  I don't mean to be argumentative.. I'm sure you're right, but I just don't quite understand the difference.

Thanks again,

Barry

Additional edit: OK, it's really strange now.  The UPnP device keeps dis- and re-appearing from the "Playing Now" tree; usually it's right under "Player." When it disappears from that tree, the "Send To" option is not available (said me, Ron Obvious).  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  Can't find any rhyme or reason to it.

Another question - the option "add stream to web media" shows up when clicking on one of those PublicRadioFan links, but I don't see "web media" in my tree anywhere.  I selected it once, and now that station opens up in my browser, firefox, using a VLC plugin.  ?!?!?! Very confused here..

I've got a few good streams to work, but they only appear in my "recently imported" playlist.  Can I store them anywhere else?

Sigh... thanks again.  The deeper I go, the more trouble I get into.. lol

Antognini

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 10:02:15 pm »

See my query a few minutes ago under "Berliner Digital Concert Hall" for a similar issue.

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 10:25:00 pm »

If your renderer is "coming and going" then you have a network problem. Check some of the posts here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/board,7.0.html

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up