INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rovi updates end 8th Feb - is there an alternative EPG and how to set up??  (Read 7744 times)

amcneish

• Recent member

Hi
I am on Rogers Digital HD (in Ottawa Ontario Canada)..  The EPG seems to stop on the 8th of Feb.....

Anyone have a work around?

Andy

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
Re: EPG stops updating at 8th Feb
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 10:27:44 am »

Your EPG source may have a default value of one week.  You did not mention how you get the EPG data.
Check if you can modify from the default...

For instance, I use zap2xml.exe to get my EPG from zap2it.com 
http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tvlistings
Zap2xml.exe fetches 7 days by default, but can be overridden with the -d switch to specify a different number of days.

I am a cord cutter on OTA TV (ATSC).

Cheers!

amcneish

• Recent member
Re: EPG stops updating at 8th Feb
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 10:47:21 am »

I have always gotten 2 weeks worth of data...  I am getting my data through the standard ROVI (as setup by Media Player)

It seems to be a Rovi issue (they will not talk with end users)...

amcneish

• Recent member
Rovi updates end 8th Feb - is there an alternative EPG and how to set up??
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 09:05:10 pm »

Rovi seems to have no data after the 8th of Feb.  They will not take input/support requests from end users.  Is there another EPG which can be used with JRiver Media Center??  How would I change over to it???

Thanks

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Rovi updates end 8th Feb - is there an alternative EPG and how to set up??
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 09:12:26 pm »

The problem is with Microsoft - it also impacts WMC users: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=96&t=10615

You can either switch guide sources or hope MS gets their stuff together before then. Not the first time this has happened since they switched to Rovi either (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,104219.msg727395.html#msg727395).

I also use the MS Rovi guide, I will give them till this weekend and figure out how to switch then if I have to.

amcneish

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 10:21:22 am »

Thanks for the reply....  Zap2it seems to have the two week span....  I guess it would be an ok alternative to ROVI....

is there a procedure to use it.. instead of ROVI (the TV JRiver setup works well using it...)

I am a bit of a nubi... and not sure how to setup the Zap2it..  I have looked at some of the streams and it seems that the download program for it needs perl...

Any help world be great!!!

Andy
 :)

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2017, 10:49:16 am »

See if these instructions help http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,100319.msg695326.html#msg695326 (see post #13).

However, if you don't mind paying a couple of bucks a year, the Schedules Direct guide data is the best IMO. http://www.schedulesdirect.org/

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2017, 05:20:41 pm »

Quick update, there is a post from a Microsoft employee in that link I posted above:
Hi guys:

Just wanted to let you know we're working on this. I forwarded the issue to the team yesterday, and followed up again today - when I hear more back, I'll post here.

--Jon,MSFT

No update yet...

amcneish

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2017, 09:41:14 pm »

There was an interesting input to the Microsoft Connect site...  It seems that there may be an issue with certificates.. --> The user was getting --> Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel. trying to talk with ROVI...

The full input follows...

Andy

Topic: Guide Data Outage - Winter 2017 Edition
Author: chunki
On my WMC, it reported a communication problem on 2/1. Now, the communication error is gone. Unfortunately, still no data.

2/1/2017 - communication problem

2:32:08 PM - Testing internet connection.
2:33:24 PM - Connection established.
2:33:39 PM - Retrieving Directory.

2:33:40 PM - Failed to retrieve Directory (Error: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure
channel.)

2:33:40 PM - The MCEClientMaintenance package is already up to date.
2:33:40 PM - The NetworkMetadata package is not available.
2:33:40 PM - Testing internet connection.
2:33:40 PM - Connection established.
2:33:40 PM - Retrieving SportsSchedule.
2:33:40 PM - Failed to retrieve SportsSchedule (Error: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel.)
2:33:41 PM - Retrieving SportsV2.
2:33:41 PM - Failed to retrieve SportsV2 (Error: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure
channel.)
2:33:41 PM - Retrieving ClientUpdate.
2:33:42 PM - Failed to retrieve ClientUpdate (Error: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel.) ..
2:33:47 PM - Retrieving EpgListings.
2:33:47 PM - Failed to retrieve EpgListings (Error: The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel.)
2:34:02 PM - Errors during the last update.
2:34:02 PM - Will retry at 2/1/2017 3:34:02 PM.

Karl Beem

• Recent member
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2017, 08:55:32 am »

My guide info ends Feb 7.  I have done manual dload to no avail.  I use mc2xml.exe.  What's going on?  I've been using the same setup for 2 years.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2017, 12:55:12 pm »

I confirm that ROVI data do not go beyond Feb 7 at the moment.  There is nothing that can be done about this except hoping (or praying) they will sort this out by Tuesday.  You can also consider options that other users have been suggesting/considering.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2017, 03:48:14 pm »

FYI, things appear to be working correctly now in WMC based on the posts over on thegreenbutton.tv. I can't test because I switched to EPG123 over the weekend and am now using the Schedules Direct data with WMC.

AudioEd

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2017, 05:12:37 pm »

After reading on The Green Button that the EPG was again working for WMC, I did a manual reload of the program data for JRiver MC and now have extended program data to Feb 18 where previously it ended tomorrow. Hooray :) 

At some point it would be a good idea for JRiver to come up with a better solution than piggybacking on Microsoft and it's less than stellar support of the EPG.  My guess is that MS will end support for WMC sooner or later and then all bets are off.  A more modern approach to media discovery in general, plus easy incorporation of OTT streaming sources would be a welcome addition in future updates.  This would definitely keep MC very competitive with all the other media server choices out there.  Even if it required a small annual subscription to provide a modern solution, I wouldn't mind.  Any other thoughts in this regard?

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2017, 06:24:51 pm »

Even if it required a small annual subscription to provide a modern solution, I wouldn't mind.  Any other thoughts in this regard?

Please read the pinned "EPG setup in MC21" post at the top of the forum. There already are paid options that you can use when setting up the guide. As long as it is available I don't see an issue keeping the current default for mc2xml using the Microsoft source given that it is 'free' (or at least included with Windows). Even when WMC support sunsets (Win 8.1 has WMC as a paid option and that OS has support until 2023), it is my understanding that they use the same guide source for the TV functionality in XBox One.

One benefit of the way MC does it currently is that you can choose which guide you use as opposed to other solutions where you get the guide they build in and charge you for.

amcneish

• Recent member

In the end.. Microsoft fixed the issue with ROVI...  but.. I decided.. enough is enough.. I am now trying PercData..  They seem good...  and easy to set up....  (not a lot of money..)

I am now running one system on JRiver and the other on Windows Media Center...  I still like the WMC user interface.. and it is quicker to bring things up....

However, I want to update to Windows 10 to get the up-to-date security patches...  (I have a JRiver licence for the second machine.. I may replace the WMC.. Sigh.. It was a great product!)

Thanks for all the ideas!!

Andy
Pages: [1]   Go Up