INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: OS X Lost library  (Read 1979 times)

sadaunhe1

• Recent member
OS X Lost library
« on: February 03, 2017, 04:49:13 pm »

All of my media resides on a NAS (DS415+). Every time the NAS disconnects and restarts, MC 22 loses its mind. My library is backed up every day, so in theory, it remains current. However, restore doesn't repair the connections to the files, except on an apparent random basis. For example, I have rips of a complete set of Mozart piano concerti stored on the NAS. When I attempted to restore the library, only two of the concerti were recovered. This problem does not  occur in Win10. As near as I can tell, the backups are completing normally. The only thoing that seems to work is clearing and re-importing the library. Can anyone suggest what settings I may need to adjust? Or any other approach, for that matter? I am at my wits end with this problem.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: OS X Lost library
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 05:14:32 pm »

First, I would adjust the setting for fix broken links:

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > configure auto import > tasks > Fix broken links > NO

This will prevent MC from ever removing any files from it's database if they go "missing" on disk.

Second, I would wonder why your NAS loses connection frequently and would try to address that.  But the setting above should band-aid your problem pretty effectively.

Brian.

sadaunhe1

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 01:42:25 pm »

Thanks for your advice. I've fixed this setting; hopefully, it will help. For me, a more interesting question is why MC 22 for Win doesn't share this flakiness, when settings are identical. Is there something else I'm missing?

As for the NAS, I agree... I'm not a fan of addressing symptoms, myself, but circumstances sometimes dictate less than optimal approaches. Thanks, again, for your help.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 04:04:02 pm »

I promise you that if you remove disks (NAS or otherwise) with MC using fix broken links=YES, MC for Windows will do the exact same thing.

I think the difference is probably in how the NAS mount is handled.  Apparently your windows machine(s) don't lose the mount and your Mac does.  Unless I'm misreading what you are reporting.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up