INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Duplicate recordings of the same show when aired on different channels/broadcast  (Read 5652 times)

imeric

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

As an example I had 24 Legacy aired on both City TV and Fox. Both shows recorded, which is taking up space and using up tuners for no reason.  If I could favor one channel over the other as I previously requested here this would resolve this annoying issue:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,107303.msg745158.html#msg745158

The reason why I don't want to enforce a channel in the subscription rule is due to the fact that the show might stop airing on one of the 2 channel and continue on another (or an alternate between 2 channels).   This is the case for the new series Legion as it will be aired on General TV first and then on a specialized channel.

I also want to maximize the over the air recording and keep the colossus only when needed for shows on specialized channels.  If I could just favor a channel over another this would make my life a lot easier when creating subscriptions.

Any way we can get this added in a near future?

Thank You.

imeric

• MC Beta Team

A few more thoughts on this hopefully helping to figure out a simple way to implement this and resolve the issue as per my snapshot #1:

1. Leverage the Channel List we specify when building a rule: Right Now we can specify one or more channels but it does not seem to use the info at all.
- My Suggestion is if a channel is specified in there as per my snapshot #2, this one (and only one) is used for the recording  even if other channels meet the subscription rules

-Then if that channel doesn't have the show and it's being aired on another channel this other channel from the All Channels list is used for that subscription.

-If more channels are specified or it's set to All Channels only then recordings will happen on all those channels meeting the criteria

OR:
2. Modify/Replace the Video Quality Preference Under Rule with a Channel Preference List as per my 3rd snapshot
- This kills 2 birds with one stone. HD vs SD means a different channel that the user should be aware of anyway...

imeric

• MC Beta Team

deleted and changed previous post

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!

It is on my list.  Your first suggestion is exactly what I was thinking about.  Your second suggestion might work too.  The first one is simpler to implement.  So we will stick with it.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

imeric

• MC Beta Team

Thank You Yaobing!

I've been really happy with my TV experience lately.  A few crashes here and there that I sent you logs for but besides that it's been good. (Don't think they're all related to TV though..Not sure..)

Keep up the good work!  ;)

imeric

• MC Beta Team

22.0.73 (2/13/2017)

1. NEW: Program-keywords-search based TV subscription recording rules will sort recordings according to channel ordering for rules that specify multiple channels, or "All channels" with additional "preferred channels" selected.
2. Changed: When multiple TV channels match a particular TV subscription rule for recording at the same time, only the first will be recorded at recording start time.

Very happy to see this was added but I'm a little confused as to how this will work...

Point 1.: What Channel Ordering are we talking about? Channel ordering specified in the Manage Channel List under Options?
Point 2.: What if I want a Channel which is last in the ordering for a specific show and the opposite for another?  Not sure I understand...
Will the "preferred channel" (assuming that is the one we select in the Channel List) take precedence over the other ones in All Channel?
If so I guess we're good but when I'm playing with my rules nothing tells me which show will be recorded...Looks like it will be 44.1 as it is the lower number even if I select 62.1 in the channel list.

Hopefully I'm missing something..

Yaobing

• Administrator

Channel ordering in this particular context refers to the channels in the second screenshot in your last post (channel 62-1 is in it).  When there are specific channels in this list (in addition to "All channels", or in absence of "All channels"), the channels in the list are preferred, and their ordering is honored.  You can add multiple channels in this list.  If you do not have any channels specified in this list (i.e. you only select "All channels", but no specific channels), then your "Favorite channels" are favored.  If you do not favored channels, then your regular custom channel ordering is honored.

Putting channels in that list in the order you want is a little bit of counter-intuitive.  I may add a tool to re-order the channels in the future.  For now, let's see if you can figure out how to order the channels if the ordering you want is not the natural ordering of your selected channels  :D.

imeric

• MC Beta Team

Awesome. I get it now and it is actually a very good way to do this. Maybe all that's needed here is to add a little note in that same window under channel? 

Thx again foer this very nice addition! I'll let you know how it goes (or no news is good news :))

imeric

• MC Beta Team

Awesome. I get it now and it is actually a very good way to do this. Maybe all that's needed here is to add a little note in that same window under channel? 

Thx again foer this very nice addition! I'll let you know how it goes (or no news is good news :))

Yaobing I don't think the ordering is saved as when I go back in the subscription settings it goes back to the alphabetical order.  See 2 snapshots attached. Can you please try from your end?

I might not be doing this correctly...

Yaobing

• Administrator

Surely you are right.  I will fix it.

Yaobing

• Administrator

Fixed: The order of television subscription recording rule's channel list was not preserved when the rule was edited.

The channel order is actually saved properly.  So if you set the order correctly, and click Next> and save the recording rule, it should be fine.  It is just when you reload the recording rule into the recording rule configuration the order is messed up.

imeric

• MC Beta Team

OK thx!

imeric

• MC Beta Team

Just checked and looks like 21.0.75 resolves the ordering issue thanks!!

It does but not entirely..

Channel ordering works but it's not possible to put All channels last and only All Channels will show under recording rules even if channels are specified.

When there are specific channels in this list (in addition to "All channels", or in absence of "All channels"), the channels in the list are preferred, and their ordering is honored.  You can add multiple channels in this list.  If you do not have any channels specified in this list (i.e. you only select "All channels", but no specific channels), then your "Favorite channels" are favored.  If you do not favored channels, then your regular custom channel ordering is honored.

Putting channels in that list in the order you want is a little bit of counter-intuitive.  I may add a tool to re-order the channels in the future.  For now, let's see if you can figure out how to order the channels if the ordering you want is not the natural ordering of your selected channels  :D.

So according to this I'm assuming it will still work correctly when "All channels" is selected but channels in the list should show up in the recording Rules. (And by default: All channels should always be last in the order specified when you hit Finish

Thx!

imeric

• MC Beta Team

Beside the other issue I just highlighted above if I only have specific channels in the list, order them as wanted the order will be OK when you hit finish.
If you go back and make other changes then the order will revert back to the lower channel numbers first.
(This is with 21.0.75. Not sure how this was behaving with 21.0.74 assuming changes were made...Maybe not?)
thx

Yaobing

• Administrator

This will be in an upcoming new build (76 or higher):

Fixed: The order of television subscription recording rule's channel list was not preserved when the rule was edited.

imeric

• MC Beta Team

As an FYI so far so good no more duplicate shows get recorded!!!

The ultimate test will be this weekend where Many Channels are airing The Saturday Night Hockey games!

imeric

• MC Beta Team

Yaobing, this was fixed a long time ago but is now broken on the latest 64 bit version .82.  See snapshots.

imeric

• MC Beta Team

Hi Yaobing I just removed a post I got confused looking at the actions under logs and thought it was recording the same show twice but looking at the Device status and TV logs it is indeed just recording one show so never mind!!! Working as it is supposed to.  I'll squeeze in how stable my whole TV recording/watching experience has been over the last few months Bravo!!

I guess that explains why I've been quiet lately :)...

Yaobing

• Administrator

Good to hear.  Give us a shout if you encounter any problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up