INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC22 on Qubes-OS (works)  (Read 2324 times)

Quikkie

MC22 on Qubes-OS (works)
« on: February 06, 2017, 04:11:44 pm »

On a whim, and without expecting things to work particularly well, I tried installing MC22 (22.0.63) in a debian template appvm on Qubes-OS. Since MC is running inside a paravirtualized Xen VM I really didn't thing it would work at all but so far I haven't found anything that doesn't work so that's a bonus.

If anyone wants more information or wants me to run some tests (so far I've played a small video and set up the import folders so far) then let me know.

EDIT: Theatre mode doesn't work - a few screen flashes, increased cpu and memory usage before it gets killed. I won't diagnose much further than that because a lack of theatre mode isn't a deal breaker as it's not my media pc.

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC22 on Qubes-OS (works)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 07:17:01 am »

EDIT: Theatre mode doesn't work - a few screen flashes, increased cpu and memory usage before it gets killed. I won't diagnose much further than that because a lack of theatre mode isn't a deal breaker as it's not my media pc.

Theater View runs on OpenGL, it really doesn't work all too well in VirtualBox, which emulates some level of OpenGL, so it not working in Xen is no surprise to me.
I hear there is some work going on for Xen to get virtualized OpenGL/3D support, but that probably needs careful setup and quite new components of everything.

On that note, Video playback is likely not going to be that happy either. Its a bit simpler in nature so its certainly possible it will work, but for something like video playback to be really reliable, it should sit right on the hardware, and not with a VM layer in between.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Quikkie

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2017, 08:26:01 am »

As a data point I'm running these tests on a I5-4570T with 16GB of RAM and an SSD (a Fujitsu Esprimo Q520).

All tests run with media stored on a NAS shared via NFS4.

High bitrate MP3 (256-320Kbps) playback worked fine.
A small standard definition video with stereo audio worked absolutely fine.
A H264 1080p high bitrate video Blu-ray rip mostly worked, there were some occasional frame skips - perhaps due to a lack of GPU decode (i.e. virtualisation not exposing that functionality).

As I said previously, none of this is a deal breaker, I was trying it to see what worked and ensure I have music while at my PC. My (physical) HTPC has worked flawlessly since MC19 and won't be replaced by this frankly silly solution.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 09:31:49 am »

Thanks for the reports.
Pages: [1]   Go Up