INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Preview songs from internal headphone jack while playing other song through DAC?  (Read 2156 times)

christango

Hello, Forum-skinners, 
Does JRiver have the functionality to play a song from one playlist while "pre-listening" to another song from another playlist, or other location, without breaking stride?  If so, what is the method for doing so?  I have scoured the Fora, to no avail (yes, the real, old-as-dirt, Latin plural of Forum, at least to me, card-carrying member of the Liberal Elite, avid reader of the Lying Media...Just whining, um, saying). 

I currently do very light-duty deejaying (from iTunes, 98%-preset playlists).  But want/need the option to pre-listen to a track on cans (from built-in Mac Air headphone jack), whilst still playing through Mac USB out  > NuForce DAC > RCA out > house system, in case the congregation gets too frisky, clothing articles are removed and freed from the bonds of gravity, and it becomes clear that another song or direction is appropriate. 

Thanks in advance, friends!
christango

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

Please have a look at the wiki topic on zones.  You can toggle between two zones with ctrl-t.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe

Make each sound card (device) a zone in JRiver MC. Use one of them for master playback.  Use the other for monitoring.

This isn't as easy as using a DJ controller with integrated audio interfaces.  But it's not too bad.  You'll need to select your sound interface from the left hand navigation tree under playing now.  You should see named interfaces for each of your sound devices.  When you click on these devices, you will get a different playing now queue for each one.

Further, when you are selected on a device and you then double click a song, that song will play on the last device that you clicked on.  The song will NOT change when you click a different device.  Instead, you will see the Playing Now for the device that you just clicked.

Play with this a bit and you'll probably get the hang of it easily.  MC is not DJ software at ALL.  But there are a handful of DJs that use it for this purpose.

Good luck!

Brian.

christango

Gentlemen,
Thanks for the prompt replies!  I'll do some digging.  Sounds doable.  Like I said, it's basically playlist easy; no effects, panning, ball scratching, or otherwise.  Just a quickie listen and boom, done. 
christango
Pages: [1]   Go Up