INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Missing Files  (Read 2417 times)

Bob 695

Missing Files
« on: February 09, 2017, 05:41:55 pm »

I moved my files to a different drive, now the Media Center software is unable to play them.

How to I fix this issue without messing with the ordering I have under the 'recently imported" view please?

Bob 695

Re: Missing Files
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 07:09:35 pm »

Are there no support people who can help with this? Anybody?

robertus3

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 12:59:06 am »

I guess if you move your files to another drive, and MC is not aware of this move, its library still thinks they're in the old directories.

So the solution is to redirect the MC library to the new drive. I am a normal user of MC, and I can come up with two

BEFORE DOING ANYTHING: BACKUP YOUR MC LIBRARY!

1. Delete all files in the present library (not the files itself, but the library instances) and import from the new drive. But this will mess up your recently imported section.

2. Restore all files to the old directories and use the MC function rename. Rename them to the new drive, and MC will transfer the files to the desired drive. Both in The library and in reality.  This will not mess up your recently imported section.

BUT PERHAPS SOMEONE ELSE ON THE FORUM KNOWS A BETTER WAY.

Groet, Robert.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 05:18:50 am »

The answer is simply to tell MC that you moved the files to a new drive.  Use the Rename, Move, and Copy files tool to do so:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

RM&C is a big tool, but don't let that worry you.  Just read through the docs and do some experiments. You'll get the hang of it.

For this project, you want to use two specific things:

1.  Update only mode.  This tells RM&C that you've already moved the files and you just want to Update MC's database.
2.  Find & Replace mode.  This template, at the bottom of the tool, will let you easily replace the paths.  For example if your old path was /Volumes/My Internal Drive/ and the new path is /Volumes/Big External Drive/ .  You can use "My Internal Drive" as the Find and "Big External Drive" as the replace.

Notice that RM&C has a PREVIEW area to the right.  Look carefully at the preview area and it will show you exactly what it's going to do *before* you press OK.  If it's not right, adjust, and look again.  Keep adjusting until it looks right.  Only then do yo press OK to continue.

Do ONE FILE first.  Then, once that works, do a few.  Then do a bunch more (maybe all of them?).

Good luck!

Brian.

Bob 695

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 07:19:39 pm »

Thank you robertus3 and bigentry.
Pages: [1]   Go Up