INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playback on Mac MC 22 using JRemote  (Read 2529 times)

Apaz

Playback on Mac MC 22 using JRemote
« on: February 10, 2017, 08:03:26 am »

I play my music on my Mac connected to a DAC and then AMP using USB 2.
I control the music using JRemote on my iPhone set for player as my MC 22 on my Mac book pro.

Where does the decoding happen on my phone or my Mac.
I hear the audio from the speakers but I also get amplified signals of any notification on my phone.

If JRemote is just a remote control for MC in the context above, my music should be playing from my Mac and not being transmitted from my phone like A2DP/ AirPlay etc.

Please clarify if this is not true and if I can get the music to play on MC 22 but look up the catalog and control playback on my phone for convenience.
The question is not related to the notification noise, I can turn that off. Its about using the power of the Mac for playback and better quality sound.

Thanks

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playback on Mac MC 22 using JRemote
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 02:50:20 pm »

JRemote is primarily a remote control.  When it is being used in "normal" remote control mode, it is just sending commands to MC.  MC is doing all of the playback decoding and processing.  JRemote just shows you the album covers, song titles, etc, and sends commands to MC based on your input (touching the screen).

However, JRemote has a "this device" mode, which sends the files from MC *to* JRemote.  The JRemote device then plays back the songs using it's decoding.  I believe this is usually done by transcoding the original files in MC to MP3, then sending them to JRemote, and then JRemote decodes the MP3s.  I'm not 100% sure about this last part.

But I *am* sure that JRemote has a "this device" mode.  It's usually used so you can listen on headphones plugged in to the JR device, or to play back from the device to bluetooth speakers or something.  I believe there is a wheel or cog control in the lower left hand part of the JRemote interface which allows you to choose your sound source:  From MC's sources, or to "this device".

I'm not away of any way for JRemote to send "phone sounds" to MC.  I would think the only way this would happen is if you were using JRemote in "this device" mode and then sending the audio to your receiver via bluetooth or perhaps Airplay and that the i-device was also sending it's notifications there since it would be the default audio target.

Brian.

Apaz

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 07:00:45 am »

Brian,

Thank you for the response and yes it does have a "this device" and I am able to hear the audio on the phone and via headphones connected to the phone.

My question was on playback and thanks for answering that all of that is done on the JRiver MC and only the instructions go to the MC from the JRemote when player is the Mac.
Incidentally the sound was from my mail on the Mac and not the apps on the phone.
Got the doubt when I heard the notification sounds.

Thanks for taking the response and confirmation.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 08:22:28 pm »

Glad to hear you figured it out.

If you want to make MC be more of the "program in control of the sound", then you can do a few things.  Probably the most simple thing you can do is to select Exclusive Mode.  This will lock all other programs out so that they can't generate sounds to the sound device that MC is using.  That option is located at:

Tools > Options > Audio > Device Settings > Device > Open Device with exclusive access mode

Brian.

Apaz

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2017, 01:33:11 pm »

That's great to know. Thanks again for the tip

kuriakosekudasseril

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 08:36:41 pm »

I play my music on my Mac connected to a DAC and then AMP using USB 2.
I control the music using JRemote on my iPhone set for player as my MC 22 on my Mac book pro.

Where does the decoding happen on my phone or my Mac.
I hear the audio from the speakers but I also get amplified signals of any notification on my phone.

If JRemote is just a remote control for MC in the context above, my music should be playing from my Mac and not being transmitted from my phone like A2DP/ AirPlay etc.

Please clarify if this is not true and if I can get the music to play on MC 22 but look up the catalog and control playback on my phone for convenience.
The question is not related to the notification noise, I can turn that off. Its about using the power of the Mac for playback and better quality sound.

Thanks

can u tell me your DAC configuration and specification of macbookpro

i too have a macbookpro and i wanted to set a DAC & MC together

please reply...
Pages: [1]   Go Up