INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Renaming External Drive Where Music Is Filesourced  (Read 1607 times)

DCJPG

• Recent member
Renaming External Drive Where Music Is Filesourced
« on: February 11, 2017, 08:25:17 pm »

I have an external hard drive connected to my Mac and that volume is where MC22 retrieves my iTunes music files from. I would simply like to rename my external drive to better suit my needs but I have no idea how to let MC22 know I've done so. In truth, I already tried renaming the drive only to find MC22 could no longer locate any of my music and all of the songs showed red circles as unfound files. I changed the name back to what it was, which solved that problem, but still left me with the external hard drive labeled with the old name I wanted to change. Is there an easy solution to this seemingly minor problem for me? I am a relatively new user of Media Center and by no means a coding expert. Please keep that in mind when you respond. Thanks for any help you can offer.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Renaming External Drive Where Music Is Filesourced
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2017, 08:44:01 pm »

Yeah, this one is pretty easy.  After you rename your drive (volume name) the file path to all of the files is going to change.  So it will be something like:

old:  /Volumes/MyBook/
new /Volumes/Realy_Cool_Drive_Name/

So, naturally, when you change the path to all of the files, MC can no longer find them.  The solution is to use the Rename, Move, and Copy files tool to update all of the file pointers to point to the new location.  Here's the wiki page on the RM&C tool:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Rename,_Move,_and_Copy_Files

RM&C is a big tool that can do a lot.  What you want to do in this case is use UPDATE ONLY mode.  This mode just changes the file pointers and doesn't try to rename any files on disk.  Second, you want to use the Find and Replace template at the bottom of the tool.  This will let you simply substitute the New Drive Name for the Old Drive Name.

Notice that RM&C has a PREVIEW WINDOW on the right.  This will show you what it's going to do BEFORE you press OK.  Use the Preview Window to make sure you are doing the right thing.  If it looks wrong, make some adjustments and look again.  Don't press OK until the preview looks right.

Do ONE FILE as a test.  Once that works, do a few more files.  Maybe a whole album.  Once that works, you can move on to more files; maybe everything else at once.

Good luck!

Brian.

DCJPG

• Recent member
Re: Renaming External Drive Where Music Is Filesourced
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2017, 09:09:10 pm »

Thank you so much Brian for your help. I haven't tried your solution yet because it's getting late here, but from your easy to understand instructions I don't anticipate any problems. Thanks again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up